PDA

View Full Version : Q? re: installing bathroom vanity

Rick Moyer
04-10-2010, 9:53 PM
We are getting new flooring soon in the upstairs bathroom. Wife decided she would like a new vanity. Current one is about 31 1/4 inches wide which fits between two walls. She went to Lowe's and purchased one that is about 30" wide with an attached top. (I know, I should just build one myself. That may happen in the main bathroom downstairs eventually, but for now, I need to get this done asap.)
Here is my question and dilemma: What do I do about filling the gap(s) between the cabinet and walls, as well as the top and walls? Should I install it to one side and thereby only need to fill one side gap? Could I fill around the perimeter with tiles, or something? Maybe build a raised shelf around the perimeter? Or, should I just return this and try to find one very close in size to the original? even then, I would still need to trim out.
Looking for some expert ideas, as opposed to just someone's random thought please!

Brendan Plavis
04-10-2010, 10:01 PM
No expert, but perhaps you could do some trim? You could do a raised trim, or if perhaps you were to position it to one side, you could do a "Side Splash". This would be troublesome though, depending on the location of your switches and GFCI outlets.

Just a few thoughts that may or may not be of assistance.

David Prince
04-10-2010, 10:25 PM
We are getting new flooring soon in the upstairs bathroom. Wife decided she would like a new vanity. Current one is about 31 1/4 inches wide which fits between two walls. She went to Lowe's and purchased one that is about 30" wide with an attached top. (I know, I should just build one myself. That may happen in the main bathroom downstairs eventually, but for now, I need to get this done asap.)
Here is my question and dilemma: What do I do about filling the gap(s) between the cabinet and walls, as well as the top and walls? Should I install it to one side and thereby only need to fill one side gap? Could I fill around the perimeter with tiles, or something? Maybe build a raised shelf around the perimeter? Or, should I just return this and try to find one very close in size to the original? even then, I would still need to trim out.
Looking for some expert ideas, as opposed to just someone's random thought please!

Attach 3/4 stock to the sides of the faceframe 5/8 inch wide on each side. The two sides will compensate for the gap. Finish the stock to match the vanity.

For the top: Is it laminate or synthetic marble? If it is laminate, you could find matching laminate and fabricate side splash guards to match. If synthetic marble, maybe fabricate some corian to fill the gap or use a nice piece of wood that matches the vanity to use as a side splash guard.

Tile could be an option, but you have 5/8 of an inch to fill on each side. Tile wouldn't quite fill that.

Matt Meiser
04-10-2010, 11:29 PM
What David suggested is what I'd do on vanity. You might even check if they sell pre-finished filler strips to match to make it really easy on yourself.

For the top they may have pre-made side splashes in stock. You can cut some small blocks from a third one to make little blocks to fill the gaps beneath the side splashes, beside the top that will pretty much disappear. Or custom-order a new top, but don't go to the BORG. My dad special ordered a piece of synthetic marble about 16x20. Lowes quoted $300-something. Carter Lumber sold it to him for $90.

Rich Capizzano
04-12-2010, 10:38 PM
I had a question on the correct way to install the filler pieces on both ends of the vanity that is positioned between two walls. I'm assuming you screw the filler pieces INTO the vanity first? Then move the vanity between the two walls?

But then how do you attach the filler strips to the wall? You would need a VERY long screw to go through the vanity, into the filler strip and then into the wall. Say you have a 2 inch filler piece on each side?

Sorry if this is a very basic question, just something I always wasn't sure how to tackle. Thanks for your replies....

Matt Meiser
04-13-2010, 7:34 AM
No real reason to attach the filler to the wall if the cabinet is secured to the wall. Plus, what are the odds you'll actually find something besides drywall at that exact spot?

Rich Capizzano
04-13-2010, 8:30 AM
So would you just caulk between the filler pieces and the wall? That's what the installers did for my one vanity....wasn't sure if that was the correct way to do it or not....