PDA

View Full Version : Old Lathe ID

Ken Cohen
04-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Hi-

This just showed up in my local CL with little other ID other than it's from the 70's and working.

Does it ring a bell?

I'm a newbie to turning and looking for a good, but affordable entry point.

It's right down the road, thus my potential interest.

Thx.

Ken

http://images.craigslist.org/3n73oe3l25Z65U25S4a4a655166a6aa8d185e.jpg

Bill Bolen
04-10-2010, 2:38 PM
I believe that is the Rockwell Delta vs lathe. Afraid I don't remember the model #. Has a reeves drive built like a tank. Many many of these are running strong after years of service. I've seen a number with motor upgrades to 1 1/2 horse. I believe these came with a 3/4 horse. ...Bill..

David DeCristoforo
04-10-2010, 3:40 PM
That's an awesome lathe. Delta/Rockwell as William said. I don't recall the model # either but I have one sitting in my shop that used to be my Dad's...

dan carter
04-10-2010, 3:54 PM
It looks like a Rockwell-Delta 46-525 to me.

Bob Vallaster
04-10-2010, 7:26 PM
I second Dan's ID.

BobV

Michael Mills
04-10-2010, 8:50 PM
Don't know but if you go to http://www.owwm.com/ (Old Wood Working Machines) I sure some one there will know. And a lot of other data also such as manuals, parts, etc.
Mike

Ken Cohen
04-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi and thanks to all --

Heard back from seller who says it is a 46-201 bought from an older gentleman.. Original 3/4 hp motor. Speed changer is broken, but supposedly fixable.

For an entry level turner (furniture rather than bowls, at least at this moment), this is feeling like both a project (of which I already have too many) and overkill.

And, without getting into pricing discussion, let's just say it's not a $200 bargain.

If I'm missing the boat on the opportunity of a lifetime, please let me know. Otherwise, thanks for the help.

Ken

Steve Vaughan
04-11-2010, 4:21 PM
Ken, I agree with your thinking this might be a project... You might get lucky and it be nothing to fix, and then again, you just never know what a headache ya got in parts and time, and even then, you might get stuck. Then you got a little motor to deal with and while that might do for some stuff, I'd think you'd get a bit frustrated.

If you're new to woodworking, that vortex folks talk about here can suck you right in and cause you to buy something too soon. I'd suggest you save a few more bucks and get something really nice that you read about on here that people are using. A bit more power, a few tools and gadgets, and you'll be lots happier. Every now and again a nice, newer, affordable lathe will show up on CL, and maybe ebay too. Another place, at least in my part of the world, there's a few businesses that specialize in finding tools and reselling them...and then there's the auction houses.

Good luck!