PDA

View Full Version : Natural Edge Bowl

Glenn Hodges
11-12-2004, 5:31 PM
Because of all the big winds we have had this fall a lot of pecan trees were blown down in South Georgia. This pecan bowl is from one of those trees. Natural edge bowls are good sellers for me. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Mark Singer
11-12-2004, 6:13 PM
Great bowl....wonderful design! The edge really works on this one!

George Tokarev
11-12-2004, 7:00 PM
Nice-looking bowl.

Did you have to firm up the cambium because the sap was up? One of the big problems with summer stuff for me has been the collapse of the underbark when the piece dried. I've taken to doing nothing but winter wood with the bark on.

Michael Stafford
11-12-2004, 7:14 PM
Glenn, your work is always inspiring. A beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing.

Glenn Hodges
11-13-2004, 9:40 PM
Ater turning this piece I put it in the microwave. After I removed it from the microwave and sanded it again on the lathe There was some shrinking in the area you refer to, but this sanding smoothed this out, and the bowl looks fairly good to me. Another method that I use to remove moisture from a natural edge bowl, is to use an air nozzle to blast air through the thin side of the bowl. You can see the moisture shooting out into the air. This will really help you to get a lot of moisture out of a natural edge. It was also used on this bowl.
Thank you for your favorable comments.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-13-2004, 9:53 PM
Nicely done, Glenn. I like the symmetry of this one, both the shape and the coloration of the wood.

John Miliunas
11-13-2004, 11:20 PM
Thumbs up at this end, Glenn! :) I really like the form on it and the natural edge works wonderfully for it! :cool: