PDA

View Full Version : Not been here for a while...

Ralph Laughton
04-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi Guys, It has been a while since I was last here and then I was a 'square' woodworker. Although I have used a lathe for a while a lathe it has only been to make round things to go on square projects!

Since then I have been sliding slowly down the slope towards being a 'round' woodworker. My first attempt was a small blank that I picked up at a woodworking show. no great work of art but it is smooth and round!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-10/60866/turned-bowl.jpg

Recently I have been having a go at all sorts if things from Lace bobbins to a vase shape. I say 'shape' as I have not had a go at hollowing anything yet! I think I will just drill the top and insert one of those glass/plastic stem tubes so that it can be used to display one bloom.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-10/60866/to-this.jpg

It is fun this round stuff but there is so much to learn - I think I might just get hooked. So I am off to have a look at what you guys do and, if you don't mind me asking some dumb questions, I will be back.

Ralph :)

David E Keller
04-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Welcome to the vortex! It looks like you are off to a great start.

John Keeton
04-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Ralph, welcome to the spinny side!! These guys over here have claimed many a flatworker! I defected last winter, and having a blast. Just hope I can get back to some flatwork that I really need to do!

Nice looking projects you have done - particularly the little spalted cup.

bob svoboda
04-10-2010, 11:16 AM
The slope is greased and the brakes don't work--welcome to the vortex. I really like that spalted bowl-you are off to a great start!

Steve Schlumpf
04-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Ralph - Welcome to this side of the Creek!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work! If you have questions - please ask - because it is what we are here for!

Have fun - be safe!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Addicts enjoy company Ralph! Welcome! Ask away!

alex carey
04-10-2010, 4:05 PM
Welcome to the round side of life Ralph, its a heck of a lot of fun. It seems your already hooked. Looking forward to future projects.

Roger Bullock
04-10-2010, 5:00 PM
There are no dumb questions.....maybe a few dumb answers but no dumb questions. Ask away, these guys are great and can be very helpful, I say they because I'm somewhat of a limited turner myself and still learning. My Pa often said "If you keep your eyes and ears open you can learn a little every day." Hated hearing that when I was a kid but makes since to me know. Welcome. Nice couple of first projects.

Frank Van Atta
04-10-2010, 6:57 PM
I like them both, especially the shape on the second one. Hollow that sucker out and you will have a primo piece.

Steve Vaughan
04-10-2010, 7:06 PM
That's funny - "...I just might get hooked..." I hate to tell ya, you are hooked already:D! I can only say that cause that's exactly where I was just a short time ago...have made flatwork in a year. And, you've done some really cool work there. I like the bobbin thing...I once turned a mallet out of a bowling pin.

Jim Underwood
04-10-2010, 10:07 PM
That's funny Ralph...

You get into the turning now, and I've been working on getting my shop de-junked, and ready to do some flatwork... :p

Nice start on the turning stuff. Fun isn't it?

Have you had any better luck with the bobbins lately?

Ralph Laughton
04-11-2010, 4:00 AM
Nice start on the turning stuff. Fun isn't it?

Have you had any better luck with the bobbins lately?

Hi Jim,

Fancy bumping into you here :D Yes I managed it in the end thanks to some help from you and a few others in cyber-space...

Attempt number 10 (I think) Once I got this far I was OK
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-10/60866/08.jpg

It may look more like a mini baseball bat but at least it is one piece
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-10/60866/09.jpg

After showing my SIL I have a few pointers to design mods and an order for some more. I am off to cut a couple of hundred blanks - she said she would like about a dozen :D.

Ralph ;)

Jim Underwood
04-11-2010, 8:11 AM
Nice job Ralph! You got it going on now... Glad we could help. Soon you'll be giving out pointers to us...