PDA

View Full Version : Any of you ever rebuild an air compressor pump?

Larry Edgerton
04-10-2010, 7:53 AM
I just bought a Snap-On three phase, two stage for 2 bills that needs a bit of work. It still makes air but has a rod noise. Haven't had time to tear it apart. I would like to just send the pump somewhere as time is a problem for me, but a parts source would be good too.

Talk to me.......:)

Thanks

David G Baker
04-10-2010, 11:40 AM
An air compressor is similar to an automobile engine. Rings, bearings, crank shaft, rods, etc. Can't help you on where to find the parts but it is possible that Snap-On used a separate manufacturer for the pump and put the Snap-On name on it. If you can find the manufacturer Grainger may be able to help you out on repair parts.
With your getting the compressor so cheap you may be money ahead to get a pro to do the repairs and do the work fast and right.

mickey cassiba
04-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Look on the tank for the certification tag...the manufacturer will be named there.

Larry Edgerton
04-11-2010, 7:45 AM
The internet has lots of places that rebuild compressors, but none within driving distance, so I was hoping for personal experiance. A recommendation from a creeker is worth more than an add to me.

I have all of the tools to rebuild automotive engines so if I have to I will rebuild myself. I am just working away from home and I have way too much on my plate right now.

Its funny how the definition of "Too much on my plate" changes as we get older.......:(

Bruce Wrenn
04-11-2010, 9:18 PM
Most any large city will have a compressor rebuild shop. Here locally we use Air-Mac. If the rod is knocking, then the crank may also be a problem. Because compressors use the rod as a bearing, it isn't just a matter of turning the crank down, and adding a new bearing. Some of the better shops can build up the crank, and then turn it to size, but it isn't cheap. Check with the local Snap-On guy and see if he knows of a rebuilder.

Tom Adger
04-12-2010, 7:06 AM
Go to devilbissparts.com, as devilbiss may have made your snap on compressor. They have a toll free number. Give them a call, if they don't have your parts, I bet they can point you in the right direction.

Scott T Smith
04-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Anything branded "Snap-on" is usually manufactured by them. Tools manufactured by others are sold under their "Blue Point" brand.

Why don't you get a quote from Snap-on re the repair? Most of their tools have lifetime guarantees and they will repair/replace for free. I'm not sure that this extends to their compressors, but for sure they should have the parts for them.

William Cummins
04-16-2010, 9:59 AM
The compressor is not made by snap-on, it's just relabeled. They have had different manufactures make them over the years. Can you post a picture of it? While you may be able to gets parts for it from Snap-On they will be $$$. I rebuilt my Quincy compressor last year and I used some aftermarket and some original Quincy parts to repair it. It had a shot small end on the HP rod and knocked really badly when not under a load. William....

Jay Radke
04-20-2010, 11:04 PM
nope...but i have rebuilt X-ray generators and vacuum pumps.