PDA

View Full Version : Varnish over Poly?

AJ Johnson
04-10-2010, 7:52 AM
Hello,

I am finishing some 1/4" oak ply panels for a refrigerator. I have applied one coat of stain and one coat of Minwax fast-drying satin poly. I have to say I don't really like the finish this product gives me but I have never tried anything else. I used up the rest of the can last night and I'm considering finishing with another product. I read a lot of good things about P&L 38. Could I lightly sand what I've done and put 3 coats of P&L 38 on top?

Thanks!

A.J.

Scott Holmes
04-10-2010, 5:24 PM
AJ,

P&L #38 is a great varnish, one of my favorite, 2 coats of poly is probably enough. P&L on top will not make the poly look better.

Next project, skip poly unless the project is a floor. This will open up a whole new world of finishes to you.

Howard Acheson
04-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Let me say first that poly is varnish. It's just made with some or all urethane resin rather than some other resin.

Second, if you only have one coat of poly on your project, you have a ways to go. The first coat is a seal coat that is absorbed into the wood and pores. It will not be smooth and may not have the proper sheen. Sand the first coat with 320 paper on a sanding block sanding in the direction of the grain. Vacuum off the dust and apply at least two more coats following the directions on the label.

In the future, you may want to use a non-poly varnish like PL #3. Non-poly varnishes will produce a nicer looking finish.

Joe Chritz
04-11-2010, 9:27 AM
Nothing likes to stick to poly, not even itself.

You could give it a few days then coat with a dewaxed shellac sealcoat like zinseer and then top coat. I would only do this if I didn't mind redoing the project later since there is never a guarantee it will make it.

The advice to skip the poly from here on out is good advice. Personally I use waterlox or Behlen's rockhard for wiping/brushing finishes but P&L 38 is supposed to be very good stuff.

Joe

Scott Holmes
04-11-2010, 6:18 PM
Waterlox is a phenolic resin/tung oil varnish; UV stable, most waterproof of the 3 listed, somewhat dark amber color.

Behlen's Rockhard is a phenolic resin/linseed oil varnish; UV stable, dark amber color

Pratt & Lambert #38 is an alkyd resin/soya oil varnish; Slight amber color, will not yellow