PDA

View Full Version : Increasing table top thickness?

Brian Penning
04-10-2010, 7:25 AM
I've come across some 15" wide 1" thick quartersawn oak planks (great figure) that I'm using to make a 42" round mission coffee table like the photo.
I figure I'll be left with 3/4" thickness after planing the planks down flat.

Looking for suggestions on how to make the top appear thicker OR if you think the 3/4" thickness would not appear to be too thin.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

http://www.harvesthouse.ca/assets/product_images/Mission-MOT09.jpg

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-10-2010, 8:49 AM
If the stock is pretty flat, you can probably get 7/8" out of them. I would think that would look appropriate.

Tony Bilello
04-10-2010, 9:04 AM
Look at your photo. The top looks to be about 3/4". If you like it go with it. If not, you only need to 'thicken' up the edge for a thicker appearance.I personally would go with the original design. The designer used a thinner top because the framework is relatively open and airy looking which is an effort to give a 'lighter' appearance. A thicker top on this design might look clunky.

Brent Smith
04-10-2010, 9:27 AM
Hey Bri,
I agree with Tony and Gerry, 3/4" (or if you can 7/8") will look good on that table. Much thicker and you're going to have a bulky looking piece. If you go the 'thickening the edge' route you'll also have to shorten and lower the corbels. The combination of thicker top and shorter corbels will change the aesthetics of the piece.

John Thompson
04-10-2010, 10:24 AM
If you are careful and the stock is relatively flat going in... you may be able to squeeze 7/8" out of it which I think would be perfect. 13/16" would probably work but with the thickness of the legs on that design I think the 7/8" would be what I would chose personally.

I use almost exclusively QSWO and have the 4/4 milled to 15/16" S2S at my supplier which doesn't charge anything to take it down. From there I can usually get 7/8" if needed as long as the stock is usually flat which most QW will be.

Good luck...

Frank Drew
04-10-2010, 10:32 AM
You have to put the same amount of finish on the underside of a table as on the top, but it's not necessary to plane the boards on what will be their undersides to the same level of smoothness as the top; you can easily save some thickness there, and who'll ever notice?

John Thompson
04-10-2010, 11:40 AM
You have to put the same amount of finish on the underside of a table as on the top, but it's not necessary to plane the boards on what will be their undersides to the same level of smoothness as the top; you can easily save some thickness there, and who'll ever notice?

You're giving away our "classified secrets" Frank...!! ;)

Regards...

Chip Lindley
04-10-2010, 1:43 PM
Brian, as said, shoot for 7/8" thickness on your handmade table!

Unfinished surfaced on parts of otherwise very nice period furniture was the norm when handtools were all the rage! Craftsmen came by their flat surfaces the hard way and did not waste energy where it would not be seen. Just look at the backs and undersides of handmade and high-end factory-made pieces.

Not entirely off topic; I truly groan when I see a nice pile of cherry or walnut for sale on CL *already planed to 3/4"!* They up the cost per BF for their trouble, but don't realize the hardwood is now unusable for most purposes, except panelling or flooring. So Sad!

Brian Penning
04-10-2010, 6:14 PM

Ewwwww....that's a good one!!! 1st time I've heard of that trick!

Frank Drew
04-10-2010, 7:53 PM
Sarge,

Funny!

Another thought: If the design will allow it, a broad bevel on the edge of the top can give the impression that the top is thicker than it is.

Frank Drew
04-10-2010, 8:04 PM
Not entirely off topic; I truly groan when I see a nice pile of cherry or walnut for sale on CL *already planed to 3/4"!* They up the cost per BF for their trouble, but don't realize the hardwood is now unusable for most purposes, except panelling or flooring. So Sad!

I couldn't agree with you more, Chip. Every 1/16" counts, and I want them all!