PDA

View Full Version : Tool Auction Gloat - Sander

Jordan Schulze MI
04-10-2010, 2:43 AM
Hi All,

A town just built a new school and moved the old woodshop into the new building. Anyhow, I saw an ad on craigslist that they we're auctioning off some of the old items that they didn't move to the new shop. I went and checked out the open house and they had a 37" widebelt. I'd been looking for a drum sander for a bit and figured what the heck may as well toss in a bid. It was a closed auction and I placed a bid for $1500 as that's what I was looking to spend on a drum sander. I honestly felt kinda bad, like I was insulting them with such a lowball offer. Low and behold a few days later I got a call from the shop teacher saying I had won the bid.

Admittedly, this is far more sander than I'll ever need, but what the heck it was a great deal and I'll for sure never have to upgrade.:)

Thanks,
Jordan

Ryan Welch
04-10-2010, 6:59 AM
Hi All,

A town just built a new school and moved the old woodshop into the new building. Anyhow, I saw an ad on craigslist that they we're auctioning off some of the old items that they didn't move to the new shop. I went and checked out the open house and they had a 37" widebelt. I'd been looking for a drum sander for a bit and figured what the heck may as well toss in a bid. It was a closed auction and I placed a bid for $1500 as that's what I was looking to spend on a drum sander. I honestly felt kinda bad, like I was insulting them with such a lowball offer. Low and behold a few days later I got a call from the shop teacher saying I had won the bid.

Admittedly, this is far more sander than I'll ever need, but what the heck it was a great deal and I'll for sure never have to upgrade.:)

Thanks,
Jordan

wow! I am so jealous of you right now! Great gloat I am sure you will enjoy the sander.

Roger Bullock
04-10-2010, 7:08 AM
Hope you have 3 phase or at least a converter where you plan to use it. I have a Jet wide belt but do not have 3 phase where I live and no converter. I use to have a shop where I could use it and was it ever handy to have.
When you order belts, be sure to get at least one coarse belt like a 36 grit. I don't know what your past preferred method of table top glue ups were but with this sander, I would recommend leaving your material a little on the thick side, do your glue up, knock off the dried squeeze out, and sand to finished size.
Oh and by the way, once all your woodworking buddies know you have this machine, expect a lot of company in the shop.

Bill ThompsonNM
04-10-2010, 9:25 AM
But I wouldn't look forward to moving it--from the pictures it looks like it must be $1/lb!

george wilson
04-10-2010, 9:38 AM
Very often real big machines can be had cheap. Many people are afraid of trying to deal with their weight,or don't have the electrical power to handle them. How many H.P. is the main motor? Do you have a powerful dust collector to service it?

J.R. Rutter
04-10-2010, 12:55 PM
[COLOR=black]
Oh and by the way, once all your woodworking buddies know you have this machine, expect a lot of company in the shop.

And expect that they will be buying belts!

Brendan Plavis
04-10-2010, 1:10 PM
That I must say is one big bugger... I have a hunch that belts for that must cost an arm and a leg...

What school district? Im surprised they didnt keep it... despite the obvious size and power consumption, you can never have to much sander... Now not only can you reshape your fingerprints, you can reshape your entire limbs...

Good buy...

Bruce Page
04-10-2010, 2:36 PM
Good deal!
That's what I paid for my used 26" Woodmaster!

Clayton West
04-10-2010, 2:50 PM
That is so awesome I dont have words.I would trade my wife for that machine:eek:

Terry Welty
04-10-2010, 3:10 PM
That is so awesome I dont have words.I would trade my wife for that machine:eek:

OK.... PLease post picture first, though...

Jordan Schulze MI
04-10-2010, 3:57 PM
I'm pretty excited to get this thing up and running. I've been moving it around the shop for the past few days trying to figure out a layout I like. Not exactly an easy chore, but I'd rather move it around now, than have to move it and all of the assocation wiring/ducting down the road.

It's has a 20HP main motor and a 1HP conveyor motor. I work at a sign shop and we moved into a location that used to be a produce market. So we have a pretty hefty 3ph electrical service. As soon as I lock down a layout I'm going to get this thing wired up.

It took me and 6 high school shop students to roll it on pipes onto my trailer and thankfully I was able to have a friend with an boom forklift come over to unload it.

I looked into belts a little bit and I think they can be had for somwhere between $50 to $100 a piece. For the amount of work I'll actually be putting through this thing I figured a belt should last me a good long time.
The one "downside" is that I'm definately going to need a dust collector upgrade. I've been looking into Bill Pentzs black hole of dust collection knowledge and I think I'm going to build one from his designs. In the manual it clearly states not to run it without dust collection hooked up and I don't think my little 1.5HP canister would even count.

Rick Fisher
04-10-2010, 4:51 PM
That is a great deal.. I picked up a 25" SCM last year.. used it for about 40 minutes this morning.. I have owned drum sander's (Plural) .. there is no looking back now..

I agree about the friends buying the belts.. lol.

Jordan Schulze MI
04-10-2010, 7:09 PM
I agree about the friends buying the belts.. lol.

My usual fee for tool use/project help is a 6 pack of lo-carb monster engery drink, but I may have to rethink my fees:)

Joe Wiliams
04-10-2010, 8:08 PM
Hi All,
...37" widebelt.

Thanks,
Jordan
Aren't table tops usually around 42" wide:D

William Duffer
04-10-2010, 8:22 PM
My usual fee for tool use/project help is a 6 pack of lo-carb monster engery drink, but I may have to rethink my fees:)
I would trade the wife and she would come with the 6 pack energy drink.

Rick Fisher
04-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Its funny.. My sander is only 24".. I built a mirror today that is about 30" wide.. So I could not just feed the whole mirror frame though the sander, like a cabinet door..

So now, I need to upgrade to a 43" sander as well.. lol

Irregardless of what machine or tool you buy.. ya always have that feeling that you should have gotten a bigger one..

Brendan Plavis
04-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Not if he does small table tops...

No matter... still a good price, since a Laguna goes for 18.5k-21k... and thats for a used model....

Chip Lindley
04-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Guys! He knew what he was doing! Already had the 3-phase situation figured out for a 20hp sander! Great Gloat Jordan! Enjoy!! Now you can keep an eye out for a 3hp (or better) DC!

Van Huskey
04-10-2010, 11:59 PM
I bet you spend more on DC than for the sander...

BTW

YOU SUCK