PDA

View Full Version : Could somebody with an Incra fence kindly help me out?

Jordan Schulze MI
04-10-2010, 2:26 AM
Hi,

I'm currently in the process of "restoring" a 1961 DoAll V26 bandsaw. It's a 26" model as the name implies and has a little over 18" of resaw capacity, which is going to be my main use of the saw. I'm swapping out the motor to a 3 HP 3ph inverter duty and I picked up a VFD to control speed. I've also made some pulley/transmission modifications to accomodate the higher FPM, as this saw was designed to cut steel.

Any how, I'd really like to use an Incra ls positioner on this saw. My plan is to weld in a large piece of rectangle tubing into the main column of the saw for the guide to slot into. Then I'd like to mount the clamping part of the Incra fence to a small rotary table to dial in my drift angle.

What I need help with is the dimensions of the Incra LS positioner. I think the 17" version would be sufficient. The main dimensions I need are the length of the guide and the dimensions of the clamping section. Even if someone could snap an overhead picture of the fence with a tape measure in the shot that'd be perfect.

Here's a picture of the saw. It's hard to tell, but it's about 8' tall. It looks quite sad right now because I'm in the process of stripping of the original paint. Hopefully once I get it all put back together it'll last another 50 years and some other kid can take a crack at a "re-restoration".

Thanks,
Jordan Schulze

Jeff Willard
04-10-2010, 7:21 AM
Instead of trying to adapt a router table fence to a bandsaw, why not just put on a dedicated resaw fence, such as a Driftmaster?

Jordan Schulze MI
04-10-2010, 3:37 PM
Instead of trying to adapt a router table fence to a bandsaw, why not just put on a dedicated resaw fence, such as a Driftmaster?

The Driftmaster is certainly my plan b. I just really like the idea of the Incra fences and would like to swap over all of my fences eventually. Plus I haven't seen an Incra fence on a bandsaw, so I figured what the heck may as well give it a go.

I'm 90% certain I'll be able to get it to work, so I'm thinking I'm just gonna go ahead and order one and worst case scenario if it won't work, I'll just use it on my router table. Not really too bad of a worst case.

Michael Peet
04-10-2010, 5:49 PM
Jordan, not sure if the table saw one is the same, but here are some pics of mine:

Is that what you're looking for?

Mike

Jordan Schulze MI
04-10-2010, 7:04 PM
Jordan, not sure if the table saw one is the same, but here are some pics of mine:

Is that what you're looking for?

Mike

Thanks!!!

That's perfect. Exactly what I needed. I just ran out and checked and I have 10" of clearance from the edge of the table to the main support column. I think I should be able to fit the clamp in no problem. Expect to see a thread about a bandsaw with an Incra fence in the next few week!:D

Leigh Betsch
04-10-2010, 9:40 PM
I put a driftmaster on my MM20 and really like it. I have a Incra on my router table and really like it.
I think a Incra on a band saw would be way cool. Gotta post some pics when your get done.
By the way that's one ugly saw ya got there!;) Paint it white makes a nice bight shop.

Jeff Willard
04-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Leigh, just what the hell are "tater hips"? And why are they inhabiting the space under the "c" on your keyboard?

Jeff Willard
04-10-2010, 10:47 PM
The Driftmaster is certainly my plan b. I just really like the idea of the Incra fences and would like to swap over all of my fences eventually. Plus I haven't seen an Incra fence on a bandsaw, so I figured what the heck may as well give it a go.

Fair enough. If ya' just want to tinker, I guess that's good enough reason:D.
Good luck with it, and let us know how it pans out.

Leigh Betsch
04-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Leigh, just what the hell are "tater hips"? And why are they inhabiting the space under the "c" on your keyboard?

That would be potato chips, they are there because I multi-task too much.;)

Jeff Willard
04-11-2010, 9:12 PM
That would be potato chips, they are there because I multi-task too much.;)

Damn! If Ida thunk about it I coulda' figgered that out.