PDA

View Full Version : powermatic 27 shaper gloat

David Peterson MN
04-09-2010, 11:50 PM
I picked this up off craigslist this evening. I was fortunate to be able to jump on it right away. It will look great next to my PM 66. The only pic I have thus far is the pic that was posted on CL. I will unload it from my truck in the morning. The 5hp 3ph motor is not attached currently. Should I go with a 5hp 1ph or 3hp 1ph baldor instead? I also need to make a wheel for the height adjustment on the front. I was also able to get two cutterheads. All I will need then is a powerfeed and I will be good to go!

Oh and all it cost was $180 dollars. I don't think that is too bad of a deal:eek:

Chip Lindley
04-10-2010, 12:14 AM
WOW! Great Catch David! Truly Gloatworthy! Your PM27 may beat my PM26 @ $125 because yours has the fence included! I bet you can find a decent looking crank wheel on eBay for a paltry sum.

I kept the original 5hp Baldor 3ph motor on my PM26 as I have a RPC to run all my 3ph bargains! HINT: you may be able to buy an RPC for what a good TEFC 5hp 1ph motor will cost you. Your 5hp motor pulley has 1-1/8" bore. You will have to change to a 7/8" bore pulley to use a 3hp motor.

I don't see a magnetic motor starter or reversing switch mounted. Did they come with the deal??

Peter Quinn
04-10-2010, 7:00 AM
That's a great deal David. Congrats. For the motor, is it 1 1/4" spindle? If so I'd go with 5HP, single phase if that's what you have available. But like Chip said, a 5HP baldor may cost you more or at least as much as a RPC, so consider on of those. My RPC has a baldor motor and cost $700 new for reference.

As to the hand wheel, it is also the height lock mechanism. There is a threaded rod star knob that runs through the center to lock the spindle height. I suppose you could make that if you were a hell of a machinist. I would probably buy the OEM on that one, as the PM27 spindle height can and will move under load if not locked. Not a lot mind you, but enough to make panel raising and some joinery operations a real problem. Lock the height, no problem.

Enjoy that shaper!

Carroll Courtney
04-10-2010, 7:36 AM
For the rest of your life keep looking over your shoulder:D Dang what a deal Medic.I always check out CL's and fine deals like yours but always late.Check out ebay for the handle or go to www.McMaster-Carr.com (http://www.McMaster-Carr.com) they have all kinds of handles.Congrads on the fine----Carroll