PDA

View Full Version : BLO Questions

Matt Kestenbaum
04-09-2010, 10:29 PM
I am close enough to the finish line (ha!) on a pair of matching cherry bedside/night tables that I am planning the recipe. I am thinking either several coats of BLO followed by wax. Always a favorite with cherry. Or maybe a BLO/pure tung/bees wax blend.

Either way...my gallon on BLO spent the winter in an unheated garage (Central NJ saw a real winter this year). Any issues with freezing/thawing temps? And similarly, are there any shelf life issues to be aware of with oil finishes.

Matt

Scott Holmes
04-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Matt,

BLO is freeze thaw stable.

"I am thinking either several coats of BLO followed..."

Several coats are not needed 2 is plenty. Keep it wet for 10-15 minutes rewetting any areas that soak it all up, then wipe it dry. Repeat the next day. wait 24 hours and you can top coat. Adding wax to BLO finish will produce a very nice easy finish the will NOT protect the wood very well. A wet glass will cause problems and allow the wood to swell, raise grain, no telling.

"Or maybe a BLO/pure tung/bees wax blend." DITTO see above. Adding tung oil will only make the finish more expensive; nothing to be gained over BLO. BLO will darken more than tung oil; but when together there will be no benifit to you; only the company that sold you the tung oil will profit.

If you want an in-the-wood finish that will protect from the wet glass; make your own "danish oil" finish. Equal parts of oil (tung or BLO)/mineral spirits/varnish.

Matt Kestenbaum
04-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the freeze/thaw info...and of course the advice on adding protective element (Danish Oil recipe).

Charlie Kocourek
04-10-2010, 11:38 AM
BLO is a beautiful finish, it does not offer the best protection, but it looks great! You might want to consider shellac or some other film finish for the drawers because most oil finishes will tend to leave an odor when used inside drawers and cabinets. Just a thought. Please post some pictures when you are done.

Charlie