PDA

View Full Version : New tool..

richard poitras
04-09-2010, 9:07 PM
no conection with this tool just looked kinda cool...

http://sidetracksawtable.com/sidetrackvideo.html

Jesse Espe
04-09-2010, 9:11 PM
Don't think the link is quite right...

richard poitras
04-09-2010, 9:14 PM
sorry about that should work now...

Alan Schaffter
04-09-2010, 9:56 PM
Nice, neat rig for vinyl siding. But I don't see it does anything that a SCMS can't do. It is lighter, mainly because it uses a small, lightweight, battery-powered saw.

Bob Lloyd
04-10-2010, 8:43 AM
Neat, but at $649 I will stick with my SCMS.

Matt Meiser
04-10-2010, 9:03 AM
That was my same thought. Way overpriced for what it is. I was thinking it would be a couple hundred bucks and let a guy use the saw he has. But you need a modified Dewalt saw and the whole package is more than an SCMS. Plus you cut into the table so eventually that's going to need replacing and it contains the miter scale. Not that you'd probably really use the scale for siding work.

Plus I think there's already something kind of like it on the market. The guys that did my parents' kitchen job used something that looked similar. Could have been this or an early prototype I suppose since we are relatively close to Fenton, but it was smaller than 5' long. I think the saw rode on tubes on there's, kind of like a mini panel saw that could cut angles.

Alan Schaffter
04-10-2010, 10:19 AM
That was my same thought. Way overpriced for what it is. I was thinking it would be a couple hundred bucks and let a guy use the saw he has. But you need a modified Dewalt saw and the whole package is more than an SCMS. Plus you cut into the table so eventually that's going to need replacing and it contains the miter scale. Not that you'd probably really use the scale for siding work.

Plus I think there's already something kind of like it on the market. The guys that did my parents' kitchen job used something that looked similar. Could have been this or an early prototype I suppose since we are relatively close to Fenton, but it was smaller than 5' long. I think the saw rode on tubes on there's, kind of like a mini panel saw that could cut angles.

Sounds like the old Rockwell "Sawbuck" or the early Delta "Sidekick" frame and trim saws. (I found an old ad (http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1314&dat=19841022&id=H_QRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Bu8DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4868,3792129)- the Sawbuck sold for $495 - $240 off- in 1984)

http://images.craigslist.org/3nd3mf3l25Q05X05S1a3u767bd78228591ddb.jpg

I didn't realize they wanted $649! Holy, moly!! And you need to modify or buy a modified saw!?!?

Matt Meiser
04-10-2010, 10:33 AM
I think that's it Alan.

The $649 includes the saw, but Dewalt 18V stuff is prevalent--you'd think they'd find a way to let you use the saw you have. Or another brand.

Alan Schaffter
04-10-2010, 10:44 AM
The rechargeable saw is too underpowered (see how slow they feed it even into vinyl). The batteries will only be good for small projects. They won't last long enough for a "real" siding job.