PDA

View Full Version : floating bottoms

Wally Wenzel
04-09-2010, 7:23 PM
I have seen it mentioned here about a floating bottom in segmented bowls i have no idea what that is, can someone explain what it is and how to do it?
Wally

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-09-2010, 8:34 PM
Wally, as far as I know, I was to first to use such a vessel base in segmented turning. It's based upon the frame and panel door desgn which so effectively accommodates wood movement. In segmented vessels, the base area has always been the most prone to movement issues. This technique has worked for me now for about nine years, however, it's probably not a good design for salad bowls. Here's a cross view from an article that I just wrote for the Segmented Woodturner's chapter newsletter:

Mike Minto
04-09-2010, 8:45 PM
Malcolm, I've never understood how a piece like this is mounted to the headstock - what part is? The 'keeper' ring? If so, how do you do this?

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-09-2010, 9:50 PM
Mike, after the keeper ring is inserted, it is trued up flat with the outside ring. Then a waste block, mounted to a faceplate, and turned to a matching diameter is glued to the outside perimeter (not the floating disc). Once this is done, the vessel can be built by adding rings. Even though the waste block is only glued to the perimeter, it provides plenty of support. I actually turn, sand, and apply finish to the disc before I insert it. That simplifies the process later.

Wally Wenzel
04-10-2010, 4:45 PM
Thank you Malcolm for the answer to my question,and the very good explanition of how to do it.
Wally

Richard Madison
04-11-2010, 11:26 AM
An alternative (and more tedious) method is to glue up to half rings, sand half ring ends to match, hose clamp together, sand one side flat, center and attach to faceplate, turn the ring I.D. and turn a groove in the center of the bore which will be a loose fit on the bottom panel. Remove from lathe and unclamp, install bottom panel in groove, glue the two half rings together with bottom panel captured within. Continue as above. As I said, rather more tedious.

Mike Minto
04-11-2010, 7:23 PM
thanks, Malcolm - I'll have to try that sometime ;).