PDA

View Full Version : For all you gun lovers out there!

Frank Corker
04-09-2010, 2:37 PM
If you load your own, make sure that you weigh the powder!

Apparently, according to a friend who sent me this by email, a guy walked into a police department with the below Smith and Wesson 629, he wanted to dispose of it following a mishap at the range. There had been a load bang and when he tested his new load, the gun had kicked up and hit him on the forehead leaving a nasty gash. Wouldn't you have loved to have seen it happen?

Jason Roehl
04-09-2010, 3:14 PM
Wow...that dude is very, very fortunate that he was able to even take the gun in.

I bet he needs a new pair of undies. :D

Gordon Kircher
04-09-2010, 3:24 PM
It opened the two rounds next to the chamber also. Wow, he's lucky he only got a gash.

There was probably more than one pair of undies being emptied that day :eek:

Dave Russell Smith
04-09-2010, 3:28 PM
These photo's have been circulating around the gun community for some time now :eek:. This is what the Texas F&G forum had to say about it:- [url]forum.fishgame.com/showthread.php?p=732 either way it ruined a nice 44 Magnum

Mark Ross
04-09-2010, 4:28 PM
Hehe...I think this guy must be related to him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC6RUdkit2w

Deane Shepard
04-10-2010, 1:03 PM
Frank - I would not have wanted to be there to see it. I have been present on four separate occasions when guns (none of them mine) blew up: a Browning Citori, a Colt SAA, a Winchester 97, and an italian copy of a Colt SAA. You really wouldn't see much. It happens so fast and it is so far beyond the realm of what you expected (a normal shot discharge) that your first reaction is to wonder "What happened?" Not to mention that with modern smokeless powder, besides an unusually load "bang" there isn't even much flash or smoke. Couple that with the fact that it is potentially very dangerous given that nobody knows where those pieces are going to go and it's no place to be. To paraphrase the old saying that "If the enemy is in range, so are you," "If you are close enough to see it, you're close enough to get hit by the pieces." Although it is not always an ammunition problem, I know a couple of clubs that have a rule that on your second misfire of a given day, you are disqualified for the day as it is obvious you should be home working on your reloading technique.

Deane
M-360

Ray Uebner
04-10-2010, 6:11 PM
Thanks for the pictures. I will use them in my hunter education class coming up this Friday. I am the safety instructor hope it helps get a point across

Thomas Baranowski
06-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Having reloaded for over 25 years this is the biggest concern one should have! I'd love to know if he was just learning to reload or was experienced..... why I always do a visual of powder levels before seating the bullet! May be slower but better than risking loss of a hand or worse!

Bill Cunningham
06-08-2010, 9:13 PM
This were pretty sure was a double charge in a glock..
Attached Thumbnails http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=92066&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1215397840 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=92066&d=1215397840)

Mike Lassiter
06-13-2010, 1:26 PM
While it has been years since I reloaded ammunition, I still have over 500 357 rounds and the equipment, but had to sell the pistols years ago due to financial hard times.:( I reloaded my own rounds to allow me to enjoy shooting A LOT more than the local indoor gun range I lived by at the time allowed me at $9.95 for 50 rounds (back in the mid 80's). It was common to go to the range and shoot 400 - 500 round each weekend. I got pretty got with all of that practice!

I always reloaded in a room alone, with no TV, no radio, no telephone, no kids, no wife to distract me. There are many variables to affect how the reload turns out. This is not the time to be talking to the wife and kids or on the phone, or having interruptions that break the concentration from the task at hand. There just simply is no excuse for less than full concentration. You endanger yourself and any around you. To those that do reload - you know it is not complicated, but it requires your focus on what you are doing. To those who enjoy shooting that have yet to reload your own bullets - it is a rewarding thing to go out and shoot and get good groups of shoot from bullets that you put together. And is a way to further your knowledge and skills.

As with the firearms, so with the ammunition - one must be careful and use common sense.

Bob Cole
06-14-2010, 1:51 AM
I had that happen to me with a glock. Fortunately it was just only a little overcharged. The gun did what it was supposed to do and I wasn't hurt at all. I got the gun fixed and shoots great.

As for what the previous poster stated about distractions, I totally agree. Although the task of reloading is very monotonous, it is much more important to pay attention to each step for each round. I analyzed what I did and still unsure how I overcharged the round. I shot the rest of the batch with no issues.

Bill Cunningham
06-15-2010, 10:22 PM
I shoot a 40S&W 1911 Para Ordnance, and got the shock of my life with a blown casing. It was not a double charge, but probably a tiny missed casing crack. The gun went bang, the mag blew out and all the blast went down through the magwell. One of the better reasons you never rest the base of the mag in your palm while shooting, regardless of what you see those TV cops doing ha...