PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Security+ Certified?

Pat Germain
04-09-2010, 12:39 PM
My employer is requiring I get a Security+ certification within the next few months. Anyone here on SMC with that certification who can share some advice?

Specifically, I'd like to know if this is something I can likely do from studying a book. Or, should I probably take classes? I've been working in IT for almost 18 years as a Unix and Windows system administrator. I've just never bothered to get any certifications. (I do have a ClearCube technology cert, but most people aren't familiar with that.)

Thanks!

Meda Morg
04-09-2010, 2:14 PM
I am a A+, Network+, CCNP, VCP (Vmware) and CISSP and work with a couple folks who went for their Security+ and said it was fairly easy compared to the CISSP curriculum. I have been told all you need it a couple good books, especially the one from Comptia and quite a few practice tests. You can find quite a few online or use the supplied one from Comptia. Also, the guy who I work with who got his Security+ used TestKing's practice tests and said it was practically a braindump and actual test questions. I'm not a fan of doing it that way, just passing on the info you requested.

Pat Germain
04-09-2010, 2:47 PM
Thanks for the information, Meda. That's very helpful.

paul cottingham
04-09-2010, 3:10 PM
I was an A+ and network+ instructor (don't hold it against me.) I would imagine that like those two certs, if you are experienced, the exam should be pretty straightforward. A braindump or two fro confidence, and you should be set.

Bryan Morgan
04-09-2010, 6:48 PM
My employer is requiring I get a Security+ certification within the next few months. Anyone here on SMC with that certification who can share some advice?

Specifically, I'd like to know if this is something I can likely do from studying a book. Or, should I probably take classes? I've been working in IT for almost 18 years as a Unix and Windows system administrator. I've just never bothered to get any certifications. (I do have a ClearCube technology cert, but most people aren't familiar with that.)

Thanks!

I started to "study" for it and didn't find anything too difficult. I'm the same as you, been doing *nix + Windows admin / network engineering forever with no certs. Its never been a requirement thus far. I figured no matter what certs I got they would be outdated by the time I "needed" them if a new job required them. Having hired and fired many people underneath me I never could see any real world benefits to most certifications, save for "real world" certs like RHCE. Some guys could fill up a business card with fancy titles but somehow couldn't set up basic BGP or simpler routing.