PDA

View Full Version : Help! I'm in trouble.

Tyler Howell
11-12-2004, 11:50 AM
. Thought I could carve some pretty nice short radius turns down this slippery slope. Steep and deep is my favorite, but I caught an edge and I'm tumbling out of control.
Thanks to our good Veterans past and present, I parlayed a 4 day weekend with the best of intentions. Mill work, mill work, mill work, I am chipping up some new, 70 & 150 year red old oak I've salvaged from a number of projects including this house for the trim in my everlasting kitchen project. I used the 66 to get it in the ball park and as I was setting up the router table, jointer and ROS to cleanup the machine marks I said "Lets try the stealth mode on this one".
Pulled the new LV Veritas LA Jack apart with intentions of some fine tuning, but it was ready to go right out of the box. A little paraffin all around for it, the #80, and the new radius plane and we went to town. The new DC came on only once for the floor sweep. What a party. The LA jack is one fine machine, nice balance good fit for my beefy hand. Smooooooth!
Thursday night was also the 9th of ten Neander WW classes. Use, care, and feeding of spoke shaves, card scrapers, and chair scrapers was the agenda for the evening. The Cabriole leg was a fitting test for these implements of mass construction. Not quite my stile, I have some new tools in my arsenal for future challenges
There won't be a big power tool sale around here in the future, but the combination of power and unplugged is here to stay.

Ted Shrader
11-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Wow Ken -

You really have it bad! Next you will be breaking out lanterns for illumination. :) :)

Good on you. That leg is georgeous - good lines and flow.

Regards,
Ted

Ken Fitzgerald
11-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Ta Ta Ta......Ta Ta Ta.....(just imagine Taps playing).....by the way Tyler..you can send that new PM to me as you won't be needing it any more. :rolleyes:

I'll even pay the shipping!

Enjoy improving your new skills!
:)

Jim Becker
11-12-2004, 12:16 PM
That looks lovely, Tyler. Wonderful work!

John Miliunas
11-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Ta Ta Ta......Ta Ta Ta.....(just imagine Taps playing).....by the way Tyler..you can send that new PM to me as you won't be needing it any more. :rolleyes:

Ha! NOT if I drive over there and pick it up myself! :D :) :cool:

Tom LaRussa
11-12-2004, 12:59 PM
. There won't be a big power tool sale around here in the future, but the combination of power and unplugged is here to stay.
Hey Tyler,

If nothing else, all of those big power tools give you plenty of surfaces to hold parts when the work bench gets too full. ;)

Dick Parr
11-12-2004, 3:05 PM
Very nice Tyler, all that schooling is paying off. Glad you are enjoying a different approach to this fine hobby. :)

But now that you have the powered and hand woodworking down to a fine art, you need to try the spiny thing. That will add a whole new dimension to your growing hobby. :D :p :rolleyes:

Lloyd Robins
11-12-2004, 3:31 PM
Tyler, I understand your feelings. I like not having all the airborne dust and noise. Listening to music is nice also. :) At least I don't have a PM sitting around (darn it), just a Jet contractors saw. Thanks for you report.

Tom Scott
11-12-2004, 6:12 PM
Tyler,
Nice legs! errrr, should I say, "leg".

Tom

Herb Blair
11-12-2004, 6:16 PM
Tyler,
After your 10th class you will learn the secret handshake and with officially become a "GALOOT".
Seeing your posts are the highlight of my dismal day.

Mark Singer
11-12-2004, 6:30 PM
Tyler,
Excellent....wonderful! You are in it deep! You shoud make some bench poppets to hold the leg. Then you can spin it and shape it easily. If you want to know I will take a picture.

Chris Padilla
11-12-2004, 8:17 PM
We wanna know, Mark, we wanna know! :D

Bob Marino
11-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Tyler,

Nice job on the leg. I can see whyworking with handtools are in many ways more rewarding than working with power tools.

Bob

Dan Moening
11-13-2004, 5:52 PM
Chris,

I've recently been rereading The Workbench Book by Scott Landis.
On page 175 is an illustration of "benchdog poppets".

After seeing your post, I spent a bit of time googling about and was highly unsuccessful in finding a picture to share. However, I did learn alot about poppets...seem to many applications in many different devices. Do you suppose WWers are the most learned individuals due to our insatiable desire to scouwer the internet in search of some arcane tidbit of WWing lore? The things I've learned through these digressions....

Anyway...I marked the page and will add this device to my long list of things to make.

Remember those old wooden shoe trees that were designed to hold the shape of your foot when inserted into your shoes? Well...image a shoe tree held vertically. The heel portion is shaped like a benchdog (square in shape to fit within the dogholes). The toe has a metal "L" pointy thingie attached, that parallels the benchtop. One poppet is placed in a doghole, the other is placed in a doghole in your tailvise. The stock to be worked is held between the metal pointy thingies on the poppets...pressure applied via the tailvise.

Does that make sense?