PDA

View Full Version : AMF DeWalt RAS worth $100?

Myk Rian
04-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Going to look at it this afternoon.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/tls/1683675354.html

Jerome Hanby
04-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Unless there is something terribly wrong with it, buy it. Chance are on any old RAS you'll need to replace the table anyway. Get the Mr Sawdust book and you practically have a shop manual for that model (as well as detailed instructions for building a great RAS Table).

lowell holmes
04-09-2010, 10:45 AM
The difficulty you will face is the "carry" part. My Dad had one and it was really heavy.

The B&D Dewalts (I have one) just don't measure up to that one.

scott allen
04-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Yes. Yes. Yes!

As long as the motor runs and the carriage ways aren't shot you'll end up with a saw that will outlive you. It can be tuned to become the most accurate tool in your shop.

When you go to look at it, take a Philips head screwdriver with you. Remove the front cap from the arm and pull the motor assembly out - set it down on the table (don't forget it's still attached to the saw by the power cord!). use some WD-40, mineral spirits, or similar along with a small piece of Scotch-Brite pad to clean up the ways. Do the same to the carriage bearings. Put the motor assembly back in the arm and move it back & forth while you try to stop the bearings from turning with your finger (careful to not pinch yourself doing this). If you cannot stop the bearings, just make sure the motor carriage has the same "feel" the full length of the arm. If not, adjust the right hand carriage bearings until they are nice and tight (but not too tight). Just enough to keep you from stopping the bearings with your fingers is perfect.

After doing the above, if you notice any "sloppiness" in the movement of the carriage you'll probably want to pass. If there is any, it will likely be in the first 6" or so from the column. Chances of this happening, however, are extremely small as the saw you are looking at was marketed toward the home user thus probably never saw a production environment.

Check out the DeWalt Delphi forums as well - lots of guys over there that have nothing better to do than drool on old round-arm DeWalts!

Scott

Myk Rian
04-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Here's another one for $250 that just popped up.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/tls/1683762199.html

Brendan Plavis
04-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Now I know why they are also known as Radical Harm Saws... that thing looks plain dangerous...

If its in decent shape though, it may be a decent purchase. Cheap too considering modern RAS go for $700+

Greg Peterson
04-09-2010, 2:03 PM
I too paid $100 for mine, same era. They are indeed heavy. Built like a tank and can be dialed into be extremely accurate.

The clamping mechanism that holds the motor on mine was broken. It wasn't until I tried to use it that I realized that without the motor clamped down good and snug that it would torque out of position during cutting. I was able to find a used clamp online for $25 and now it works fine.

I've had mine for several years but only recently decided that I would invest in a decent RAS blade. The blades that came with mine were the original steel blades and are all but useless for any precision work.

The guy I bought the saw from was the son of the original owner. He and his father had built many things with the saw. He still had the original manuals and several publications for the DeWalt RAS.

I have scanned these into PDF files if you would like a copy. Or any one else that may want one. Very detailed instructions on tuning the saw.

Don Jarvie
04-09-2010, 2:46 PM
Lots of info on these saws at OWWM.org.

Myk Rian
04-09-2010, 3:14 PM
I'm going to GLOAT a bit. This is a nice saw sitting on my workbench.
It's a MBF 248. The paint is a little rough, one knob is missing, and another half broken off. Those are replaceable.
The motor bearings are a bit tight, but it runs well. I removed the front cover and pulled the motor carriage off. The bearings were real tight, but WD-40 loosened them up. Cleaned the ways, and now it moves like hot butter. Maybe a bit of adjustment on the right side bearings, but it is very smooth.
The tilt and angle need some oil, but at least they turn.
Has a Marathon 8" blade on it. That will be replaced.

Greg;
I would love to have a copy of the manual. TNX

Dave Cav
04-09-2010, 4:15 PM
I would love to have a copy of the manual. TNX

Go to the Reprints section of OWWM.com, then pick DeWalt and you'll find the manual and parts diagram for the MB and GW series of saws (same manual).

scott allen
04-09-2010, 5:05 PM
Congratulations on your new arrival! I'm betting it's going to become your favorite child.

Make sure to get yourself a Mr. Sawdust book ASAP. You should also find a copy of Jon Eakes' "Fine Tuning Your Radial Arm Saw". The book is out of print but you may have luck finding it through your library. If that doesn't work, you can order a PDF of the book from Jon Eakes' website.

Go to the DeWalt RAS forums to figure out which blade is going to be best for you and your budget.

You're gonna love it!

Scott

Myk Rian
04-09-2010, 8:10 PM
OK. Got the manual and motor parts breakdown.
Mr. Sawdusts' book is ordered. Thanks all.

Chip Lindley
04-10-2010, 12:39 AM
WTG Mik! Thats a solid little trim saw! Enjoy!

Bradley Jones
10-17-2011, 12:38 PM
I would Love to get a copy of the manuals. Every thing on this thing works.&nbsp; Mine is a AMF DeWalt model 925&nbsp; Serial# 285158&nbsp; M/L 254.&nbsp; The best I can guess is that it was built in 1959/1960.&nbsp; I also did not get the Key for the on off switch.&nbsp; At the moment needle nose pliers work, for testing.&nbsp; Any idea where I can get one? &nbsp; The books avail at OWWM.com that are for MB/GW would they be applicable to my Machine? Thanks Bradley <br><br>
I too paid $100 for mine, same era. They are indeed heavy. Built like a tank and can be dialed into be extremely accurate.<br>
<br>
The clamping mechanism that holds the motor on mine was broken. It wasn't until I tried to use it that I realized that without the motor clamped down good and snug that it would torque out of position during cutting. I was able to find a used clamp online for $25 and now it works fine.<br>
<br>
I've had mine for several years but only recently decided that I would invest in a decent RAS blade. The blades that came with mine were the original steel blades and are all but useless for any precision work.<br>
<br>
The guy I bought the saw from was the son of the original owner. He and his father had built many things with the saw. He still had the original manuals and several publications for the DeWalt RAS. <br>
<br>
I have scanned these into PDF files if you would like a copy. Or any one else that may want one. Very detailed instructions on tuning the saw.

John TenEyck
10-17-2011, 2:02 PM
Congrats Myk. That's gonna be the best $100 you ever spent on woodworking.