PDA

View Full Version : Microbevel on LN 60 1/2

Alex Silva
04-09-2010, 12:17 AM
I have just received my LN planes including the 60 1/2 and also my veritas MKII honing guide. I would like to add a microbevel to the blade.

According to LN instructions, the 60 1/2 blade has a 25o bevel and is bedded at 12o. So correct me if I'm wrong, I should use something like a 38-40o as an angle in order to add a microbevel ? Or maybe should I just put the pin on the brass roller at 6oclock as described in the manual for the MKII guide ?

I'm a little bit confused !

Thank you

Alex

Dave Beauchesne
04-09-2010, 12:47 AM
I have just received my LN planes including the 60 1/2 and also my veritas MKII honing guide. I would like to add a microbevel to the blade.

According to LN instructions, the 60 1/2 blade has a 25o bevel and is bedded at 12o. So correct me if I'm wrong, I should use something like a 38-40o as an angle in order to add a microbevel ? Or maybe should I just put the pin on the brass roller at 6oclock as described in the manual for the MKII guide ?

I'm a little bit confused !

Thank you

Alex

Alex:

Set up the MKII to sharpen the blade @ 25*, with the brass roller @ 12 o'clock. this will give you a 25* bevel, add it the the 12* bed = 37*.

If you want to add a micro-bevel of 2*, after you get to your finest polish @ the 25* mark, turn the brass roller marker to 6 o'clock for an extra 2* micro bevel ( if I recall correctly - I have been free handing it lately with good results ) so you will end up with a 27* + the 12* bed = 39* end result.

Hopefully this clears it up.

Dave Beauchesne

Joel Goodman
04-09-2010, 3:06 AM
Good advice. The bedding angle has nothing to do with adding a microbevel. The 60 1/2 is a low angle plane and if you want a low angle for end grain you are set; 25 primary + 2 microbevel. If you want to turn it into a mini hi angle smoother then go for a higher angle microbevel.

Tony Shea
04-09-2010, 8:44 AM
They both said it right. The bed angle has very little to do with the micro-bevel. Since this is a low angle plane it works much better on end grain which is where the LA block planes really come in handy. The more you increase that micro bevel the higher your bed angle is going to be therefore negating the fact that it's a low angle block in the first place. If you want to add a micro-bevel (which I don't usually do to my LA blocks) then +2* should be plenty. Luckily the MKII makes this process a snap and garuntees that you're always at that +2* micro. One reason I don't add the micro is that I free-hand all my sharpening and getting a consistant micro is next to impossible therefore just use the initial bevel on most of my tools. I have yet to see a real issue with doing it this way.

Dan Sink
04-09-2010, 4:43 PM
Do you guys suggest using the David Charlesworth ruler trick on low angle plane blades?

Tony Shea
04-09-2010, 7:39 PM
I only use the ruler trick on older plane blades that would take far too long to lap the backs completely flat. If there is pitting or just too much uneveness close to the first inch or two of the iron. Only then will I reach for my thin Lie Nielson 6" pocket rule. On newer irons or older iron that are in great shape I will just take the small amount of time to flatten and hone the backs to a mirror polish. But other's methods may vary. I believe some people do it to all their irons. I just don't like the slight inconsistancies involved especially on a brand new Hock or LN iron.