PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen Tool Event in Chicago

Tim McEneany
04-08-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm sneaking out of work early tomorrow to attend the Lie-Nielsen tool event in Chicago. I'm new to hand tools and have never used a hand plane before so I look forward trying them out for the first time. Since they have a lot of options and I doubt I'll get a chance to try them all, which ones would you recommend as must try?

Aside from building a bench I would like to build a few bookshelves and a coffee table. If that all goes well then I'll move on to a desk. With that said, I'd like to try out the #4, #7 and maybe the LA jack.

I don't know if my first purchase will be a LN but I'd at least like to see what a nicely tuned up plane is supposed to feel like.

Jim Koepke
04-09-2010, 3:18 AM
Tim,

Welcome to the slippery slope.

Try as many as you can. The shows are usually set up pretty informally. You can likely walk up to the planes and take one to a bench to try it out and then bring it back and try another.

You might want to try the #7 and #8 to compare which jointer you prefer.

Then the #3, 4, 4-1/2 to see which smoother feels right for you.

If you can try out the #62 low angle jack plane. It is a good plane for shooting end grain, but is also good on face grain.

You may also want to try a #5 compared to a #5-1/2 to see if one feels better to you for a jack plane.

Also important is to try the block planes to see if you like the adjustable mouth or regular and the low angle to the standard angle. I like the low angle with an adjustable mouth. I thought Lie-Nielsen had an equivalent to the #65 block plane, but I do not see it listed.

Finding the comfort zone for a plane is an important reason to try what you can in the sizes you will most likely purchase.

Good luck and have fun,

jim

Bob Warfield
04-09-2010, 7:35 AM
It's about 6:30 AM and my wife and I are about to walk out the door. I tried to resist leaving the bank cards at home but somehow they found their way back into my wallet. Wish me luck!
Thanks,
Bob Warfield

Chuck Saunders
04-09-2010, 8:19 AM
When those tools left Kansas City on Monday they had cleaned all of my drool off of them. A very enjoyable show. Only cost me a router plane and some oil.

Rob Young
04-09-2010, 11:44 AM
When those tools left Kansas City on Monday they had cleaned all of my drool off of them. A very enjoyable show. Only cost me a router plane and some oil.

Ha! So that explains the puddles.

Rob

Heather Thompson
04-09-2010, 1:57 PM
I am going to try and get there on Saturday, went the last time Lie-Nielsen came to town and it was a very nice event. Jeff Miller has a very nice shop and is a great host, I actually managed to slip out the door with my credit card unscathed last time. :o Trust me, I do not have super powers with self control, have attended many woodworking shows and had the pleasure of visiting Lie-Nielsen in Maine when my husband and I went on our honeymoon. :D

Heather

Callan Campbell
04-09-2010, 3:04 PM
I hope to meet some fellow creekers in person for a change. I'll also be there Saturday, along with my wife and a couple a friends. I'm looking forward to this as it's my first L-N show, and while I've read about Jeff Miller and his work in FWW, it's great to see the shop in person as well.
I'm looking at rabbet/rebate planes, not sure if it's the smaller block version or the 10 1/4 that will appeal to me most. :D

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-09-2010, 3:09 PM
Jameel Abraham will be there with his Benchcrafted vises. He's selling his traveling split-top bench for short money. Someone's getting a really great deal!
http://benchcrafted.blogspot.com/

Also, check out Ron Brese's booth!

Mike Zilis
04-09-2010, 3:30 PM
I'm trying to talk my wife into bringing me tomorrow. A couple of days I ago I put a freshly reconditioned Stanley #8 in her hands to take a few shavings and she impressed me with how quickly she took to it. Actually, because she had never touched a plane before, she immediately thought "jeez, this hand planing thing is a breeze".

:-)

-Mike

Tim McEneany
04-09-2010, 10:05 PM
The event was a blast! The staff was very helpful with answering all my newbie questions. Top notch! I tested out the #3, #4, #5, #5 1/2, #7, 60 1/2, LA Jack and LA Jointer. I like the #7 and #4 bench planes but I think my first purchase will be a block plane, the 60 1/2. I also had time to check out the chisels which felt a million times better than my cheapy BORG chisels. The list keeps growing!

Bob Warfield
04-10-2010, 12:07 AM
We just got home. Good thing my financial advisor, wife, was along. Yes all of the vendors where very helpfull and Mr. Miller was a very gracious host. If you ever get a chance to visit his shop do it. His hand made tool chest is awsome.
Oh ya I did manage to get a Lie Neilson progressive pitch dovetail saw, Glen Drake Tools Tite-Mark Mini, Handplane Essentials book from Mr. Schwarz, and 3 of David Charlsworth's DVD's. All in all a very long day but I would do it again in an instant.
Thanks,
Bob Warfield

Jim Koepke
04-10-2010, 3:04 AM
The event was a blast! The staff was very helpful with answering all my newbie questions. Top notch! I tested out the #3, #4, #5, #5 1/2, #7, 60 1/2, LA Jack and LA Jointer. I like the #7 and #4 bench planes but I think my first purchase will be a block plane, the 60 1/2. I also had time to check out the chisels which felt a million times better than my cheapy BORG chisels. The list keeps growing!

Being able to get your hands on the tools makes a lot of difference when it comes time to decide what is going to work for you. You will find this was time well spent. Today for the enjoyment. In the future for the confidence of knowing you are buying the right tool for you.

All in all a very long day but I would do it again in an instant.
Thanks,
Bob Warfield

But if you did it in an instant, you wouldn't be able to savor every moment.:cool:

jim

Michael Fross
04-10-2010, 3:20 PM
I just got back and continue to be really impressed with the event. Jeff Miller is fantastic, as is John, Chris, Ron and all the rest.

It's small, intimate, and relaxed. Highly recommended. I hope they continue to have it, although I always drop a wee bit of cash ;)

Now to wait until the end of the week for most of the goodies to arrive...

Michael

Erwin Graween
04-16-2010, 6:10 AM
I wish they would cross the pond to once set up such an event here in Europe :(:( (in France :D)

Over here there's no real tool show.

Well maybe one day !

Ron Brese
04-16-2010, 8:05 AM
Hey All,

I'm glad you all enjoyed the event. I certainly enjoyed myself. We've been to the Chicago are for several events now and we've gotten to know a lot of the regular attendees so this is a chance for us to catch up with the people we already know and meet some new folks. As presenters we work awfully hard to prepare for these shows so a few days out of the shop talking about and demonstrating tools is actually a bit of a break for us...well at least until it comes time to pack everything up, then it gets like work again.:)

Until next time,

Ron Brese

Brese Plane

Mark Roderick
04-16-2010, 10:41 AM
I generally try to avoid the "Isn't this tool great!!" aspect of woodworking.

But I throw caution to the wind at Lie-Nielsen events. Not only is there great joy in holding and testing the tools themselves, and in learning new techniques from the demonstrations, but I always leave the events eager to get back to my shop and build things.

I wish I could go more often.