PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in April - Gloat

harry strasil
04-08-2010, 9:06 PM
The back door bell rang, the burglar alarm went off (Dog), it turned out to be one of the old Journeyman Woodworkers for an Old long gone customer of mine and my fathers, who was a home builder, cabinet maker, general carpentry type of person, this journeyman is probably in his mid 70's but sure doesn't look it. A couple of years ago he was injured when he was blading snow with his 8N ford and somehow it ran over him and then drug him for aways. It broke his pelvis and he is in constant pain same as me.

Well, he was cleaning out one of his several Garage shops he still has and came across his old employers 46 Stanley Plane and brought it up and gave it to me and wondered what was missing. So we I looked it up in John Walters book and now he is going on a quest looking for the blades and other assorted pieces for it. It appears to be a type 9 or 10. He told me had never personally used it for anything. Its in pretty decent shape, just needs some careful light cleaning. :)

Bill Houghton
04-08-2010, 9:33 PM
Do I understand you correctly? He not only GAVE you a 46, he's now going back and looking for more parts? Nice.

harry strasil
04-08-2010, 9:47 PM
It usually pays dividends, when you treat good customers right, occasionally bend over backwards to help them out of some tight spots, and loan them tools they don't have and only need maybe once, especially when you know they will treat them with respect and care.

Works the same way when demoing smithing and/or WWing, and an old some comes up and asks questions or just sets and watches for a long time. You are most likely going to learn something if and when the person figures out that you don't claim to know it all, and that you do know what you are talking about and do a fairly decent job of explaining to people how it was most likely done in the period and/or time you are attempting to recreate and explain. Occasionally you will find one who will ask you if you are interesting in some old tool of theirs or their fathers or grandfathers. They are just looking for a good home for it instead of it going to some individual who is only interested in how much they can make off it by reselling. examples being, my WF&G Barnes Foot mortiser, my door lock mortising machine, my Lestor Improved treadle scroll saw and many other mostly small tools.

At the Lie Nielson hand tool event at the Guild shop a gentleman walked up and asked me if I would be interested in an old flat belt drive wood lathe his father had, he is going to leave it at the guild shop for me.

Respectfully
Jr.

george wilson
04-08-2010, 9:49 PM
Great deal,Harry. My friend and journeyman Jon had a 1941 8N. I'm a 1941 myself !

Sorry you are in pain,I always am,too. It makes me too grumpy sometimes.

Clinton Findlay
04-09-2010, 6:23 AM
I like the way you think Harry... should be more of it.

harry strasil
04-25-2010, 4:49 PM
Doorbell rang again today, he found all the blades, depth stops etc and brought them over after church.

Richard Niemiec
04-25-2010, 4:54 PM
Doorbell rang again today, he found all the blades, depth stops etc and brought them over after church.

I hear ya, what goes around comes around. Put it to good use, make it sing.

harry strasil
04-25-2010, 6:03 PM
The Proof.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/stnly46.jpg

Josh Bowman
04-25-2010, 6:28 PM
The Proof.

Dog Gone it Harry!! I've been trying to find a set of blades for my 46 for a couple of months now......and you just answer the door and there they are. I need better friends.....:D

Joe McMahon
04-25-2010, 7:35 PM
Treating others with respect & dignity always pays off- even if they aren't real big on reciprocating. Somehow, somewhere there is abig tally book & everything works out in the end.

Good on you, Harry!