PDA

View Full Version : For the ones that do veneering

Jay Jolliffe
04-08-2010, 7:57 PM
Veneering a flat panel have you ever used the breather net on top instead of a platen.

Jim McFarland
04-08-2010, 9:23 PM
I've read several reports of those who used it & liked it -- I tried it and had some of the mesh grid marks telegraph onto the veneer. Sanded out ok but I still use a platen where I can (seems like I always need a new size however so platen's have their downside, too!).

Phil Harding
04-08-2010, 9:37 PM
I've been using breather mesh from Joe Woodworker (VeneerSupplies dot com) for a couple of years now with no problems. I prefer the mesh to making and storing platens.

-- Phil

Mike Henderson
04-08-2010, 9:52 PM
I've been using breather mesh from Joe Woodworker (VeneerSupplies dot com) for a couple of years now with no problems. I prefer the mesh to making and storing platens.

-- Phil
+1

Mike

Jamie Buxton
04-09-2010, 1:22 AM
I tried the mesh years ago, but gave up on it. In my view, there's no need for it. It is supposed to help allow air to escape to the vacuum pump, but it turns out that air escapes to the pump even without the mesh. I get perfectly solid bonding without the mesh.

Paul Atkins
04-09-2010, 1:36 AM
I've used fiberglass window screen which helps for fast evacuation of air but not any more pressure.

Richard Dragin
04-09-2010, 2:03 AM
I have used the mesh in my limited experience. I had a lot of bleed through with Zebra veneer and it came off with a little effort using a card scraper. I think it would have been a lot of sanding without the mesh.

Brad Shipton
04-09-2010, 12:58 PM
I have never tried it. I thought it was only used when you veneer without a platten (curved work...). Does it prevent glue sticking to the bag?

Tim Johnson
04-10-2010, 7:05 PM
I use a platen on the bottom, larger than my veneered piece to ensure everything stays flat, and use the mesh on top. I've not had any problems with indentations in my piece. I have had one piece that I got some bleed thru that caused some problems with gluing the mesh to the piece, but I got it loose with some careful work. Getting the excess glue out of the mesh is a pain. But I'll continue to use it as I think it is simplier than more platens. Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone used laminate covered platens with success ?

Jim McFarland
04-10-2010, 7:13 PM
<snip> but has anyone used laminate covered platens with success ?

I always use laminate on the veneer side of (MDF) platens -- with 1/8" grooves at ~2" spacing on the opposite side. Very satisfied with performance but as mentioned a pain to make/store new sizes.

Charlie Kocourek
04-10-2010, 8:11 PM
I do the same as Tim. I put a thin board over the veneer and either a piece of window screen or a towel on top of that. Screen, towel, what ever is just to help the even the vacuum over the entire surface. I have had problems using a platen that is too thick.

Larry Fox
04-10-2010, 8:11 PM
I use a bottom platten with slots cut about every 2" and mesh on top - no problems. I personally like it a lot better than a top platten. It is also easy to cut and shape to your needs.