PDA

View Full Version : Cole Jaws

Mike Wenman
04-08-2010, 7:27 PM
A few years ago, I purchased a set of cole jaws, but have never liked using them because the black rubber feet leave marks on my nicely turned spinny things. Any solutions or ideas on how to keep this from happening? I had thought about just putting some painters tape around then but don't wan't to lose the grip that the rubber provides.

Gordon Thompson
04-08-2010, 7:33 PM
A few years ago, I purchased a set of cole jaws, but have never liked using them because the black rubber feet leave marks on my nicely turned spinny things. Any solutions or ideas on how to keep this from happening? I had thought about just putting some painters tape around then but don't wan't to lose the grip that the rubber provides.

I use painters tape with cole jaws. no issues.:D

Ryan Baker
04-08-2010, 9:33 PM
You could always use something else for the feet ... like wood, plastic, etc. Maybe get a set of the Oneway feet. My Nova feet are grey rubber and have never left marks. Are yours slipping?

Frank Van Atta
04-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Replace the black rubber feet with wine bottle corks, real or synthetic.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-09-2010, 12:25 AM
I have and do use the Oneway Jumbo jaws a lot, and for about a dozen years, never had any problems with black marks, even though the rubber on the buttons are black, but do assume they would mark if the jaws would slip, pieces of masking tape should help for that I'm sure.

And no you can't just change the buttons for corks or rubber/plastic buttons, the Oneway buttons do have a metal inner core dovetail shaped with a rubber ring around that, makes for a very strong and stable button, have a look at this picture.

Mike Wenman
04-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the info.

Do not believe that the feet or the material has slipped at all as I have just chucked up a piece and taken it right off without spinning and there is black marks on the wood.

Many good solutions until I can get a new set ordered and those are much appreciated. Thanks.

Matt Owen
04-09-2010, 12:12 PM
I had the same problem with my cole jaws, along with there not being enough adjustment in the jaws to grip any diameter I turned. So, I contacted Tim Geist, and he had me send the jaws to him. He drilled & tapped extra holes in the jaws to cover the gaps in the adjustment range, and switched out the black rubber feet for white ones.

Matt

Mike Wenman
04-09-2010, 1:33 PM
Was thinking about white ones myself. Am off to the hardware store in a few mins to get some parts for my CNC I'm building and will look at what may be available.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-09-2010, 4:47 PM
I had the same problem with my cole jaws, along with there not being enough adjustment in the jaws to grip any diameter I turned. So, I contacted Tim Geist, and he had me send the jaws to him. He drilled & tapped extra holes in the jaws to cover the gaps in the adjustment range, and switched out the black rubber feet for white ones.

Matt

Matt that wouldn't be Oneway Jumbo jaws would they ??

The Oneway chucks jaws move more than the buttons are apart on the Jumbo jaws.

The other chucks don't move their jaws as for as the Oneway does, one of the reasons besides the patented jaws that you don't need all those extra jaw sizes.