PDA

View Full Version : Should I saw this black walnut into lumber

Robert Reece
04-08-2010, 7:10 PM
It's 18" all the way up to the first split which is at about 60". The next big split is at 72". Then the main trunk is about 15"->12" for 8' or so. The trunk beyond the splits may not be useful wood, I don't know. It is fairly straight so it's not like branch wood.

I'd have very little cost in getting it sawed up since I can take it down myself and haul it to the mill.

I am leaning away from doing it, but I keep getting drawn in by those two crotches. It seems like I could get some nice veneer out of those. I'm sure I'd also get a few nice boards out of the tree.

There is also some kind of bug which has make holes in the bark. I can see the little critters sitting in their holes. They don't seem to be any deeper than the bark.

Josiah Bartlett
04-08-2010, 7:20 PM
Bark insects are common in walnut, and I've never seen them penetrate the sapwood. That tree is a bit small. Any reason not to just let it get bigger for a while before you cut it down? Walnut sapwood is usually a couple inches thick so I doubt it has much of a heart at this point.

Robert Reece
04-08-2010, 8:11 PM
It's not my tree so it is going one way or the other. I know it's a bit small, that's why I'm hesitating.

george wilson
04-08-2010, 9:00 PM
The crotches might be big enough for gunstocks,or small veneer.

Joe Shinall
04-08-2010, 9:09 PM
If it's not your tree and it's going anyways... DO IT!!!!

Fred Voorhees
04-08-2010, 9:18 PM
Robert, to be honest, the tree is on the rather small side and may not yield very much useable lumber at all. I had a buddy who buys and renovates homes and he asked me if I wanted two walnut trees for lumber at a home that he was renovating. The amount of sapwood in the trees was significant for such a small tree. You might be surprised at how little heartwood you might get with this one. If it is going to be cut down anyway, wait for that and inspect the amount of true heartwood that is available before making a decision. You have to remember that you have to deal with the amount of loss due to wain also which will occur when they are in the process of getting it down to a cant.

Joe Wiliams
04-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Ask in the turning forum...:)

Jeff Willard
04-09-2010, 7:25 AM
Ask in the turning forum...:)

Yep. You'll likely end up with very little yield in actual boards, but it should bear some nice turning blanks.

David Roberts,Fitchburg,Ma
04-09-2010, 7:49 AM
Do you have a bandsaw? I've cut up some trees and bigger branches with a bandsaw for desk drawer fronts with good success.

John Coloccia
04-09-2010, 8:10 AM
[quote]Should I saw this black walnut into lumber[\quote]

As opposed to throwing it out? Of course :D If it really ends up being bad, you can always chop it up for clamping cauls, and things like that.

Scott T Smith
04-09-2010, 9:33 AM
Robert, in all liklihood it will not be worthwhile, but I would suggest the following.

1 - make a decision after felling the tree (cutting very close to the base). You should be able to see the amount of sapwood clearly at the base of the log. If there is a large amount of sapwood, then turn it into firewood.

2 - no matter what, don't use the limb wood.

3 - chainsaw the crotch sections into lenghts that may be usable, and TAKE THEM to a miller - don't bring the miller to the log. That way you are not paying mobilization, etc. If you use Bob, you can coordinate with him to stop by when he is set up and milling other logs, and just toss the crotch sections on his mill.

Chip Lindley
04-09-2010, 7:31 PM
Your usable wood will come from the trunk up to the first fork. Some interesting crotch wood for bookmatching perhaps! As said, lots of light sapwood in relation to dark heartwood in a tree this small. But if you can get it sawed into lumber at a reasonable price, go for it!

Walnut does not even make good firewood! It shoots a swarm of sparks when the firedoor is opened, and makes more ash than ASH does!