PDA

View Full Version : Choice of Chuck for Mustard Monster

Ken Vonk
04-08-2010, 6:17 PM
SWMBO and the tax man have agreed to let me get some BIG Mustard:D. I have a Jet 1442VS now and have been using a Nova chuck. What would y'all recommend for a chuck for the Powermatic 3520?

Thanks,

Ken

David E Keller
04-08-2010, 6:21 PM
You should be fine with what you've got as long as the insert will fit a 1 1/4 by 8 tpi. If SWMBO has authorized another chuck for the MM, get another one or at least something that allows for the jaws to be interchanged.

Kaptan J.W. Meek
04-08-2010, 6:37 PM
Ditto.. the Nova is a solid piece.

dan carter
04-08-2010, 7:47 PM
I suspect that you maybe turning larger diameters now on the Mustard. The Oneway stronghold works well with a Mustard.

Tony De Masi
04-08-2010, 9:22 PM
Ken, I'll agree with the other posts here. I use the SN2 as well as a Stronghold on mine.

Tony

Steve Mawson
04-08-2010, 9:36 PM
I use a SN2 on mine, nothing else to compare to but works well. Got it on sale at Woodcraft couple years ago.

Thomas Canfield
04-08-2010, 9:37 PM
I have the Oneway Stronghold and added the tower jaws for larger pieces. Yesterday I took off a green Live Oak 18" diam by 8 1/2" high bowl blank (2" walls) rough turned bowl that weighed 38# and must have weighed close to 50# when it was only on the chuck using a 3 1/4" x 1" long tenon. I did use the live center in the tail stock for the external work and start of removing the inside. That was the first time to use the tower jaws but did give me a little more confidence over the standard jaws that I had used on some bowls almost that size and must have weighed at least 30#. I really need to find out what the recommendations are for weight and diameter.

Edward Bartimmo
04-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Ken,

All of the scrolling 4-jaw chucks are comparable in range, price, and each offers a full suit of jaw options. Based on my experience I would buy a Vicmarc. It isn't as widely distributed here in the states and for whatever reason neither Woodcraft or Rockler carries it. Once you use one you will never look back. I have traded out my collection of Strongholds and Talons and upgraded to a set of the two sizes of the Vicmarc chuck.

Unlike the Stronghold, the Vicmarc is fully enclosed and once you tighten it down it won't start loosening up while turning. Additionally, I like their metal faceplate rings that mate up with the chuck. It is worth the leap of faith on this.

Craftsuppy sells the chuck. When I moved up from the 14" Jet (1" spindle) to the Powermatic (1 1/4"), suddenly all of my faceplates no longer fit. Craftsupply also sells a spindle adapter to transition between the 1 1/4" spidle to the 1" faceplate. If you buy this adapter make certain to buy it made from steel and not aluminum. Also, buy the adapter that has the center bored out so that you can also use it with a vaccum chuck setup.

alex carey
04-09-2010, 3:06 AM
+1 stronghold.

Reed Gray
04-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Another vote for the Vicmark. I prefer the dove tailed jaws for bowls as they hold better. Just like why you use dove tail joints for drawers and other aspects of flat work. I think the others now have dove tailed jaws available. They are all pretty good chucks though.

robo hippy

Alec Moseley
04-09-2010, 2:11 PM
I have a Super Nova and the large Vicmarc. Both work well but the Vicmarc is more versatile.

Joshua Dinerstein
04-09-2010, 6:59 PM
I have a Super Nova and the large Vicmarc. Both work well but the Vicmarc is more versatile.
I love my larger vicmarc. I would whole heartedly recommend it. But I am getting ready to spring for some smaller chucks as well so that I don't have to change jaws. So like others have said. Keep the SN2 and get more that work.

While I have said I like what I have, and I do. I find that compability can't really be over-rated. If you have an SN2 and permission to get another chuck then I would be VERY VERY tempted to get a second SN2 and some accessory jaws to go with it. Doing so will let you use one Key, shared accessories etc... When I started I had an Apprentice chuck from CSUSA and the Barracuda 2 from PSI. These are essentially exactly the same chuck in terms of jaws and accessories. Being able to swap things back and forth between the 2 was great. The only different was the exact size and shape of the chuck key. I had to make sure I grabbed the right one. That got OLD FAST.

So just my $0.02, if this is the start on new hardware I would go Vicmarc and or the Grizzly knock-off of it for variability and compatibility. If this is just a "1 chuck" thing then get a SuperNova2 and stay compatible with what you already have.

Good Luck, either way you are in for some real fun turning on that Beast!

Joshua