PDA

View Full Version : custom branding irons or stamps

Mac Houtz
04-08-2010, 4:26 PM
I am going to post this in the woodworking forum, but thought you engraving guys might have the inside track on it. I am looking for someone who can make me a custom branding iron for woodworking projects. I have one (I think its from Lee Valley), but let's just say that the design I want is not something they can do.

I want the outline of a body of water set inside a circle, with the name following the outside border of the circle on the top and the bottom.
(I wish I knew how to post pictures, wait I think I just figured it out.)

Anyway, if the picture came through attached, the body of water is the Mobjack Bay, and the red line is the pattern I would want the iron to leave on the wood, inside a circle, with "Mobjack Bay" arcing around the top of the circle, and "Woodworks" arcing around the bottom.

Hopefully this makes sense, and if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful. It doesnt have to be an electric iron, I could heat it with a torch. Even if someone could make an ink stamp that would transfer permanently enough to unfinished wood I would be open to that. I would also prefer that the logo not be any larger than necessary, so that it would still be usable on small projects. Let's say I would like it to fit on a largish business card.

Peter Meacham
04-08-2010, 5:16 PM
Mac

I just did a Yahoo search for "custom branding irons for wood" and came up with lots of hits - I would try that search.
Pete

Roy Nicholson
04-09-2010, 5:31 AM
I'm not too sure which metals they can cut... I know they do aluminium...

they may be able to engrave brass for you

We have a CNC forum here at Sawmill Creek

Otherwise you could try an acid etch.

I use to have hot foil plates made by etching which may do the job.

Just some ideas

Regards

Roy N.

FRITZ STOOP
04-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Anyone know someone that can make this into a wood burning iron?
Thanks,
CDog

Jim Beachler
04-30-2011, 4:05 PM
I use rubber stamps on all of my wood items. Have never had a problem with the ink coming off as I put it on the unfinished bottom of what I do and the ink soaks right in. You can have a custom stamp made for much cheaper than a branding iron and you don't have to heat it.

Bill Cunningham
04-30-2011, 8:46 PM
When using a rubber stamp, you want to make sure there is no excess ink on the stamp, or it will bleed into the grain of the wood. You can prevent this by inking it on the pad as normal, then stamp it on a piece of paper, 'then' stamp it on your wood. The paper will remove 90% of the excess ink, but leave enough surface ink to mark the wood as a secondary impression without a bleed.

AL Ursich
05-02-2011, 8:30 PM
Good tip !!!!

AL

Lupe Duncan
05-02-2011, 9:00 PM
Great Idea!

Where would one get a rubberstamp custome made????

Bill Cunningham
05-03-2011, 9:07 PM
Great Idea!

Where would one get a rubberstamp custome made????

If you don't have a laser yourself, you can have someone from here that's close to you make one, or use Corel to design your own in black and white artwork, then take it into Staples, or some office supply place. They can have it made for you.. I make them, but the cost to send one down from Canada, would be more than the stamp is probably worth..