PDA

View Full Version : Claro Walnut question

Mike Minto
04-08-2010, 1:17 PM
Doesn't 'claro' walnut simply mean, 'clear'? I see people wigging out about it here and in other places like it's some rare, hard to find species of wood - which is it, anyone know?

Edward Bartimmo
04-08-2010, 1:50 PM
Claro Walnut is variety of walnut. Its other common names are California Walnut, California Black Walnut, and West Coast Black Walnut. To say the least it grows predominantly in California. Typically, when someone says walnut (in the US) they are generically refering to black walnut, and not claro walnut.

Claro Walnut is highly figured with good color contrasts. My understanding is that in California there are used for landscaping like we use bradford pear in texas.

Al Wasser
04-08-2010, 2:14 PM
Claro walnut is a common name for Juglans hindsii. It only grows in N. Calif and S. Oregon. It is somewhat rare. It is sought out for its rather "wild" grain pattern.

John Keeton
04-08-2010, 2:21 PM
Mike, I have worked with black walnut for years - decades actually!!:eek: I love it, and it is my favorite wood for flatwork - followed closely by curly maple.:D Often together!!;)

But, Claro is by leaps and bounds, my favorite wood to turn. I realize my experiences on the spinny side are limited, but a nice, dry piece of Claro turns and finishes like a dream. It nearly always has figure and a variety of tones far different from black walnut. It is also more chocolate in color, IMO.

I have a piece on the lathe as we speak!!

And, I do know a very good source for Claro at reasonable prices - one of my regular suppliers, Mike Smith! http://easternncwoodworkers.com/msmith/wood/clarowalnut.htm

No affiliation other than that he gets a monthly check from me.:o It is no secret - I am a wood addict!

Paul Atkins
04-08-2010, 2:33 PM
Yeah, it's a strange name for a highly figured contrasting grain walnut. Clear is not what I would call it. Some figure it is a Spanish walnut, others think it is the original California walnut. There are a lot of them around here and too many get turned into firewood. They gets rarer ever year because no one plants them any more. The streets here used to be lined with them. There are probably 50 or 60 left in my neighborhood. They used to graft English walnuts to Claro rootstock, but now use Paradox (Bastogne). Lots of old wives tales, the 'old barn full of slabs', and the big one that got away. The county declared that any that were within 20" of the roadway were county property, I think partly because people were stealing them in the middle of the night and the county could get money for them when they had to come down. Even the almost dead one are off limits to the property owner as far as pruning or removal. The removal is auctioned to tree services. The center tree in the third picture is about 4 feet in diameter.

Ralph Lindberg
04-08-2010, 2:55 PM
Claro walnut is a common name for Juglans hindsii. It only grows in N. Calif and S. Oregon. It is somewhat rare.Not really, at least where it grows

It is sought out for its rather "wild" grain pattern.

It is very nice (http://www.cookwoods.com/WalnutBurl.htm), and often painfully expensive (only a customer of Cook Woods)

Mike Minto
04-08-2010, 3:06 PM
thanks for all the info. i have had a small block for a couple of years, about 5"x5"x4" (well, now a waxed 'round') waiting to be turned. glad i waited a good long while - even waxed, the 'round' has now 'ovalled' somewhat and distorted in other orientations, as well. should make a nice, small hollow form one day.