PDA

View Full Version : Made some new tool rests, look familar

Jeff Nicol
04-08-2010, 8:58 AM
Here are a few pics of some tool rests I made. They turned out nice and work good too. But the shop has been neglected and needs to be cleaned up!

Jeff

John Keeton
04-08-2010, 9:05 AM
Jeff, I will email you on this topic. BTW, some neat WIP lying around there, particularly the one on the lathe!

I also like that big ol' ugly piece of wood on the table! ;)

Bill Bolen
04-08-2010, 10:58 AM
What did you use for the body of the rest Jeff? Looks like a section of black drain pipe. Looks like substantial and well thought out tool rest's! Just curious...Bill...

David E Keller
04-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Nice rests, Jeff. I hope the fact that you are working means that your back/body are feeling better.

Careful showing John photos of your shop and wood stash... I think he's in the acquisition phase of the vortex.:o

Doug W Swanson
04-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Jeff,

That was awful nice of you to make me some tools rests! How did you know I needed some?!

They look nice.

Doug

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Looking good Jeff.

Jeff Nicol
04-08-2010, 1:09 PM
What did you use for the body of the rest Jeff? Looks like a section of black drain pipe. Looks like substantial and well thought out tool rest's! Just curious...Bill...
Bill, I used some 4" steel pipe I think it is about 5/16" thick, cut it with my portable hacksaw so that is nice, then TIG weld the post, heat treat the top rod and JB weld into groove milled into pipe section.

Jeff

Ray Bell
04-08-2010, 2:00 PM
Looks great Jeff. Does this mean you are back in business?

Thanks,
Ray

Mike McAfee
04-08-2010, 2:31 PM
Unfortunately Nova felt it necessary to go with a proprietary 25mm size just to screw with us non metric types!

MMc

Tony De Masi
04-08-2010, 2:47 PM
Looks very familiar indeed. Very nice job Jeff.

Tony

Tim Boger
04-08-2010, 5:46 PM
Nicely done Jeff, I'm quite sure the lucky recipiant will be pleased. ;)

Tim

Steve Schlumpf
04-09-2010, 9:15 AM
This thread was pulled and edited to remove the commercial aspects. If your post was edited - that was the reason behind it.

If a member buys a product from a vendor - they are allowed to post a gloat and/or start a discussion about it. However, that same vendor is not allowed to start a thread just to showcase their wares. Editing of this thread was a judgment call on my part and based on the following portion of the TOS.

The Terms of Service (TOS) states:

Posts made by Members with direct commercial affiliation, and with the apparent intent of using Sawmill Creek for the sole purpose of promoting a product or service will be subject to removal. Members with direct commercial affiliation are defined to be those Members who stand to benefit financially from such a promotion.

We allow Contributors to sell items to other members in the Classifieds Forum but we draw the line at commercial sales. When a person manufactures items for sale - that is a commercial venture and the thread will be pulled.

I understand this is a gray area and you may agree, disagree or have questions - but if you have any comments to make, please forward them to me through PM.

Jeff Fagen
04-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Well Jeff,Your shop my not make it into a wood magazine,but it makes a guy feel at home.:)

Ray Bell
04-09-2010, 11:00 AM
This thread was pulled and edited to remove the commercial aspects. If your post was edited - that was the reason behind it.

If a member buys a product from a vendor - they are allowed to post a gloat and/or start a discussion about it. However, that same vendor is not allowed to start a thread just to showcase their wares. Editing of this thread was a judgment call on my part and based on the following portion of the TOS.

The Terms of Service (TOS) states:

Posts made by Members with direct commercial affiliation, and with the apparent intent of using Sawmill Creek for the sole purpose of promoting a product or service will be subject to removal. Members with direct commercial affiliation are defined to be those Members who stand to benefit financially from such a promotion.

We allow Contributors to sell items to other members in the Classifieds Forum but we draw the line at commercial sales. When a person manufactures items for sale - that is a commercial venture and the thread will be pulled.

I understand this is a gray area and you may agree, disagree or have questions - but if you have any comments to make, please forward them to me through PM.

Oops, I guess this was my fault. Jeff didn't start this thread to sell these, he was just showcasing his (as always) superior craftsmanship. Thank you Steve for pointing out my error, and editing my post. I have sent Jeff a PM.

Ray

Jeff Nicol
04-10-2010, 5:24 AM
Thanks guys for everything. I am still here and the body slowly coming around. I need to be creating something or I will go crazy!

Steve was right to modify the post as I had a brain F#%$T and put in some wording that pushed the boundaries, but not intentionally. So no one should feel bad (RAY) things happen when I never sleep!

Thanks again Steve,

Jeff

Bill Bulloch
04-10-2010, 7:23 AM
Nice Job Jeff. Your shop looks like mine "after" I clean it.