PDA

View Full Version : labor of love

Chas Fuggetta
04-07-2010, 11:59 PM
That's what it has to be. To endure tuning a pos Groz #5 for 4 days and STILL not done flattening the sole. Ugh.

I finally finished tuning my Stanley #4. I can get consistent shavings down to .002", but still getting split shavings more often than not. That I believe is due to my in-experience in sharpening the iron. Hopefully I'll get better sooner than later.

Anyway, started tuning my #5 Groz jack plane. I wish I had asked someone or researched them before I bought it. The sole wasn't even close to flat. The center point at the mouth was about .015" dished. :eek: Do you have any idea how much work is involved in removing that much metal on a #5? Oh wait, I bet you do. :D The iron for crying out loud was also dished. I was able to get it to within about .003" but I know that's not gonna be flat enough. So if I decide to keep it as a working plane, I'm gonna have to replace the iron.

The Groz had several problems. Here's my list of fixes I've been working on for the past few days:

Iron not flat, not just not flat it was also dished. I flattened it to about .003"

Sole not flat. I've been working on that for 3 nights straight...still not done with about another .004" to go.

Chip breaker was not formed uniformly and it was about 1/16" too long. When mounted to the iron at about .050" from the edge, the MINIMUM cut I could get was more than the plane could handle. I had to remove about 1/16 off of it and re-cut the mating surface.

The frog bed wasn't flat either. It had about a .010" low spot in the middle. I got that nearly perfect on flatness from front to back and side to side.

All in all, I know more now than I did when I started. I've spent so much time in the shop for the past week, my wife now says...I'm a putterer. Jeez, never thought I'd be a putterer.

And of course I'm getting the typical question from SWMBO...When you going to stop puttering around in the shop and build something? :D

Well, I've decided that despite my first few challenges to making shavings...I'm going to hit the flea market this weekend and see what I can pick up. And yes, I'm bringing my glasses, screwdriver and a straight edge.

Thanks everyone. Your help has been a boon and the pictures of your projects an inspiration.

Regards,
Chas

Jim Koepke
04-08-2010, 12:13 AM
I can get consistent shavings down to .002", but still getting split shavings more often than not.

The split in the shaving is usually a nick in the blade. It could also be a burr on the sole cutting into the wood.

Tuning a plane can be a lot of work if you start with imperfect beginnings.

jim

Chas Fuggetta
04-08-2010, 12:18 AM
The split in the shaving is usually a nick in the blade. It could also be a burr on the sole cutting into the wood.

Tuning a plane can be a lot of work if you start with imperfect beginnings.

jim

When I say 'split shavings', I mean about a 3/8" wide shaving on the left end of the iron and about the same on the right side. After re-reading my post, I realize it could be 1 of 2 things. Poor sharpening giving me a concaved edge, or the sole not quite flat from side to side. I'll have to check that. I enjoy a challenge, but wish I could progress a little faster. Still, I find it satisfying.