PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 Stand Advice

brian platt
04-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Hi,
This is I think my 1st post in the turning section, I've made a few in other areas. I've been turning for a 18 months or so, but still do more flat work than turning. However it seems like I'm being drawn more to turning,:eek:,so I've done my best to resist spending much time here.

I found a terrific deal on a used Delta 46-460 (basically new) that I could not resist (possible gloat). So I sold my Steel City VS and bought the Delta after reading the good reviews here. It came with the stand but no bed extension. My question is, what your thoughts are on the Delta stand? I've seen several posts of users making their own stands. I'm wondering if that is for weight, storage, or something else?

I don't plan to add a bed extension as most of my work will not require it and I'm looking for another, 2hp lathe for larger turnings. :o The stand looks fairly sturdy , but I'm not sure when turning 10" bowls if it will be heavy enough. I have it on a bench now, and it could be bolted down if need be.

Plus if I sell the stand now, I'll have just about made a straight across trade for the new 46-460 with my used Steel City. So I can justify (at least in my own mind), buying the Delta as a 2nd lathe. :o

I appreciate any comments or thoughts. Or ideas on how to avoid falling into the vortex. (though being this is my 4th lathe, it might be too late)

Thanks, Brian

Cathy Schaewe
04-08-2010, 9:36 AM
I'm curious to see responses to this question too. I have the Delta 46-460, and love it, but I've been trying to decide whether to bolt it down, since I get some wobble when turning stuff that's really out of round. :eek:
I was wondering if there was some way to add weight that I hadn't thought of yet, so I didn't have to bolt it down.

Patrick Doody
04-08-2010, 10:23 AM
I just got my 46-460 yesterday with the stand and extension bed and extension stand. I'm still working on setting everything up properly and leveling everything, but i'll do a full review once everything is set up correctly and i start to turn some out of balance blanks.