PDA

View Full Version : Planer issues/alignment

Mark Oberreuter
04-07-2010, 9:52 PM
I purchased the Ridgid R4330 13 inch planer and am having issues with the performance. Tonight, I realized that the one side of the planed board was .025 inch thinner than the other side (over a 7 inch span). When I checked the knives, I found that they are not indexed correctly (i.e. not all 3 blades are set at the same depth in relation to the planer table).

In order to get an even board thickness I need to run the board through the planer four times (flipping side-for-side and end-for-end). This leads to inconsistent results, and doesn't allow me to use my planer sled.

Has anyone run across this issue before with the Ridgid planer (or any other brand)?

What steps do I need to take in order to align the blades to the head? and the head to the table?

Bill Huber
04-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Make sure that all 3 blades are setting in the notch that is at the end of each blade, when I install mine I push them to the back with the magnet so any slop is taken up.

If this does not fix the problem then it has to be the table is high on one side or the head is high on one side. I don't know how in the world you would adjust the table.

The head height is set by the 4 screws on each corner. They are all connected to each other by a chain in the bottom, you can take the chain loose and turn a screw one sprocket notch at a time.

If you take the chain loose there is an eccentric that you can loosen and turn, when you put it back together you have to adjust it. Not to tight or you will not be able to turn the crank and not to loose or the head will drift down as you use it.

So if you turned both of the screws on the left one sprocket and then check it and do this until you get it right.

You could just take it back and get a new one, I have one and it is dead on side to side.