PDA

View Full Version : New Porter Cable 8" Variable Speed Grinder

Rich Aldrich
04-07-2010, 9:45 PM
Last night on the way to the Superiorland Turners club meeting, I stopped at Lowes and checked out the new Porter Cable 8" Variable Speed grinder - 2000 to 3600 rpm. Although I have checked it out in the past, I needed to make sure that the Wolverine sharpening system could bolt under it. I had read a post somewhere that the Wolverine wont work on this grinder. It will and it does.

Now that I have it home, I mounted it on my grinding station tonight with the Wolverine grinding system as can be seen in the pictures below.

I sharpened several tools that I had just sharpened on my old 6" grinder. I was able to get a much better edge on the tools with the new grinder. The first thing I did to the wheels was dressed them with the diamond dresser.

The last shot shows the area that I have set up for turning. There is a debate going on in my head on whether the saw needs to move a little to the left. Actually, it really isnt in the way...... yet.

Steve Schlumpf
04-08-2010, 8:54 AM
Rich - congrats on your new grinder! Looks like you have a real nice setup! Looking forward to seeing some photos of your work! (hint!!)

Bernie Weishapl
04-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Rich congrats. That is a nice looking setup.

John Keeton
04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Rich, nice setup - congrats! That Jet looks lonely just sitting over there - it needs to be talked to daily. That meager pile of chips under it are a clear indication it isn't getting a fair share of attention!:D;)

Rich Aldrich
04-08-2010, 6:37 PM
I do need to get turning. My wife has a weekend getaway planned, so I wont get to turn until Sunday evening. Next week, the evenings look free though.