PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Radius 3D

kyna cass
04-07-2010, 9:41 PM
Thinking about purchasing an Epilog Radius if it can do 3d engraving...I'm not sure if it is capable...could someone who knows this answerlet me know if it is possible ...I currently have a VL 30W 12x16 is it possible to do 3d engraving with this machine? and where do I learn how to do this if possible. ?

Niklas Bjornestal
04-08-2010, 2:27 AM
You can check the manual of the radius on epilog's webpage

Rodne Gold
04-08-2010, 3:17 AM
I really wouldn't stress about 3d engraving , do a search on these forums of 3d engraving and you will find that there arent many applications that ACTUALLY make money for you.

Mike Null
04-08-2010, 5:31 AM
Kyna

You can do 3d engraving with most co2 lasers. The secret is in the artwork. If you do a search on the forum you'll find a number of threads related to 3d engraving.

I agree with Rodney that it usually doesn't produce much in the way of profit but it can certainly provide a great deal of satisfaction if you're doing it for your own purposes.

The Epilog web site also has info on 3d engraving.

kyna cass
04-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Thank you for your replies. Actually the 3d engraving is very important for the product I am creating . But with more digging around last night I realized it can be done with special software and a real understanding in setting the the greyscales in (power/.speed and PPI ) in corelation to the grey scale art file.. Kcam seems to be the software one would want...
I wonder would anyone have a 3d file to try ?
I will look on the threads too...

Roy Brewer
04-08-2010, 5:55 PM
Thinking about purchasing an Epilog Radius if it can do 3d engraving...Kyna,

As one of our administrators, Mike Null, suggested, all lasers can approximate 3D to some extent. The Radius does not have a specific 3D mode as do later generations of Epilogs; this mode significantly enhances a laser's ability to do 3D since it maps the power to the 256 shades of gray as it makes a raster stroke across the table.

My apologies if the following link is not within the limits of our TOS.

http://www.gantryco.com will allow you to download some "branded" 3D files to test. Many of us consider Gantry to be (at least one of) the market leader(s) in 3D file creation. As you have been warned, this stuff is not cheap (as in purchasing the files) and even more expensive if you try to do it yourself. The name you'll often hear for producing the 3D artwork suitable for laser engraving is ArtCAM. All of us would love to hear how this makes sense for your application. If it is just something you want to do, most of us understand that: been there,...