PDA

View Full Version : Opened a .....

Ken Hill
04-07-2010, 8:29 PM
Piece or two of some Persimmon i've been hoarding. It was cut down 3 years ago and buried in a brush pile. I snaked it out a few weeks back and when my new bandsaw arrived yesterday I started cutting up blanks:D

I beleive it will yield some nice turnings (wetted to show the grain)

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC1001/830627644_YHaHY-O.jpg

David E Keller
04-07-2010, 8:34 PM
Looks like fun. Nice color to that piece.

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2010, 8:35 PM
Ken that is some great looking wood. Really nice grain. Can't wait to see it turned.

Ken Hill
04-07-2010, 8:39 PM
I'd really like to send a few pieces out to see what someone can do with them. I aint no bowl turner yet:D but this needs someones touch for sure. I cut some pen blanks as well...but I aint no pen turner niether:p

If someone is interested, post up and tell me what size you want or I will ship a whole piece of log for ya.

Mark Hubl
04-07-2010, 9:27 PM
That looks nice. Hope it turns well, can't wait to see some results.

Jonathan Harvey
04-08-2010, 8:40 AM
I'd be interested but I think shipping wet wood to Canada might get us in trouble? Not sure.

Paul Douglass
04-08-2010, 9:00 AM
I make a few pens, that would be nice to try.

Richard Madison
04-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Where ya located Ken?

Ken Hill
04-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Im on a little ridge here in wild and wonderful WV.

A few folks have sent me their addresses and next week I will get some pieces shipped out for them. I know what I can do with this for game calls and such but I cant wait to see what a bowl may look like.

I dont have a ton of it left but will be on the look out for more that may come down in storm and I will re-bury the log in a brush pile for 2 years this time haha.

Jim Underwood
04-09-2010, 10:30 AM
One of the nicest pieces I ever turned was from a piece of old split up Persimmon that most folks attending a demo had turned up their noses at. That just made it all the better...
I love that stuff. I'd turn some more if I could get my hands on some. Hard stuff though -even the spalted bits were hard!

Not suggesting you send me any, I'd rather get some locally if I could find it.

Love to see what you make of it..