PDA

View Full Version : Cheap 10" 30t carbide TS blade???

Kent A Bathurst
04-07-2010, 3:35 PM
I have been pressed into duty to make 6 - 8 large (~30" x 30" x 30") planter boxes out of PT lumber [after I explained the cost of Gulp...Teak and Gulp....Cypress and Gulp...Ipe and.....].

I have a POS-OEM carbide blade for the CMS, but not for the TS. Too much wood for me to want to run my Forrest blades - worse-comes-to-worst, I'd rather buy another one for this project, and keep my goodies in the rack.

I need a cheap carbide 30t 10" blade that will make it through maybe 1,000 LF of PT wood [final design being qoute-negotiated-unquote, like I have any actual input]. I can then have it sharpened and keep it in the blade rack, or toss it - makes no difference to me.

Would love it if Amazon Prime was a source, but not really hung up on that.

Thanks

John Thompson
04-07-2010, 7:53 PM
I have been pressed into duty to make 6 - 8 large (~30" x 30" x 30") planter boxes out of PT lumber [after I explained the cost of Gulp...Teak and Gulp....Cypress and Gulp...Ipe and.....].

I have a POS-OEM carbide blade for the CMS, but not for the TS. Too much wood for me to want to run my Forrest blades - worse-comes-to-worst, I'd rather buy another one for this project, and keep my goodies in the rack.

I need a cheap carbide 30t 10" blade that will make it through maybe 1,000 LF of PT wood [final design being qoute-negotiated-unquote, like I have any actual input]. I can then have it sharpened and keep it in the blade rack, or toss it - makes no difference to me.

Would love it if Amazon Prime was a source, but not really hung up on that.

Thanks

I really don't know of a source for an economical 30 T Kent but.. you might consider a 24 T and 40 T Oshlun. $22.95 for the 24 and $27.35 for the 40 T at Amazon with free shipping. Frankly I have the Oshlun 40 T for use as such in lieu of using my Infinity Generals and Super General and I can tell you the blade is a bargain for that amount. Well made considering.. the carbide is thick enough to re-sharpen and it cuts very well.

Just a consideration as pressure treat is a bear on blades with all the muck in it and I would frequently clean the gears on saw in the process also. I know that is not what you ask but just thought it was worth reminding you. I try to avoid it like the plague with my shop machines but every so often a need pops up as in your case.

Good luck...

Myk Rian
04-07-2010, 8:17 PM
This is the one I used for a bunch of PT and particle board. Not a 10", but it sure cut nice on the TS.
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tool-Accessories-Saw-Blades/Diablo/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xi0Zb8n9Zge/R-100008676/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

jack howery
04-07-2010, 8:37 PM
When building my deck i used the blade from home depot recommended and i used a 10 in blade from harbor freight which was less than 5 bucks on sale .It was more than I expected.was more than happy with it and then i tossed it out.I think they are about 10 bucks regular price.

Joe Chritz
04-07-2010, 8:47 PM
I run a 40T combo Freud industrial (around $50) on my tablesaw all the time and it does well.

Personally I would go buy a thin kerf Freud diablo from the BORG and go to town. It is nice to have a kick around blade for projects you aren't sure you want a good blade into.

Joe

Kent A Bathurst
04-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Gentlemen: Thanks to all.

I wasn't necessarily hung up on the 30t - 24 or 40 would be fine with me. My thinking was that this time of year, the BORGs will be moving a fair amount of PT, and their suppliers are smart business people - keep inventories in line with demand - so the stuff in the stores will be recently treated = still fairly wet. I just wanted a blade that would tear right though it without being bothered by the "stringy-ness" of teh wet fibers.

Not looking for furniture-quality rips, of course.

John - good grooming tip - Thanks for the advice - will do!! There are times when these things have to be done - gives others the impression that they get some input into the output of the shop investment ;)

Paul Atkins
04-08-2010, 12:24 PM
PT wood is treated with stuff to keep things from growing. Do not use it for food plants either. Might not be good for ornamentals. Just not the best choice for growing things in.

John Thompson
04-08-2010, 1:51 PM
If you do get really wet PT Kent.. I would personally want less than 30 T. And if you rip over 24" at a time best to have some wedges to apply behing the cut handy as that stuff will open and close as quickly as the door to the U.S. Post Office on April 15th. :D

I would personally attack wet rips with a 20 T as I have two Amana 20 T Euro rippers. But.. also have two CMT 24 T rippers and if you are willing to ride out to L'ville one afternoon I will simply give you the oldest of the two which is in good condition. I find my go to on all rips now is the 20 T and I rip 1/8" proud then take stock to the jointer to remove 1/16" with one pass on each edge.

So... the CMT's basically sit in the rack. Shoot me a PM if interested as I wouldn't invest much into PT blade even though cutting it safely requires a rip blade because of the fore-mentioned opening and closing effect that can hide quietly below the surface.

Regards...