PDA

View Full Version : Trio of Walnuts

Ron Erickson
04-07-2010, 1:57 PM
All three are end grain, turned from the same tree. 6" x 4½", 7" x 5", 9" x 6½" and 1/8 to 3/16" thick. They were rough turned, soaked in DNA and dried, then re-turned. Not real happy with the top openings, would appreciate your comments and critiques. Antique oil finish.
Ron

Steve Schlumpf
04-07-2010, 2:41 PM
Looks pretty good to me Ron! Really nice forms, beautiful wood and finish!

What is it you don't like with the openings? The size? The slight rise? Just curious...

John Keeton
04-07-2010, 2:54 PM
Ron, they all look great, and I know they are displayed as a grouping, but I do like the middle one better. You did a beautiful job on these. Very well turned, and the finish is fantastic. I am a walnut lover, anyway, and it is just great wood for turning or flatwork.

From the pic, the color doesn't look to be from an oil finish, even though that is what you used. Is it the lighting? Would seem the walnut would appear warmer/darker.

Frank Van Atta
04-07-2010, 2:57 PM
I like them all just like they are.

Rob Cunningham
04-07-2010, 3:01 PM
I think they look good Ron. Nice forms and finish.

Jim Slovik
04-07-2010, 3:10 PM
Ron,
I agree with the others, very nice.
Jim

Roland Martin
04-07-2010, 3:30 PM
Very well done Ron. The center & right one appeal to me the most as far as form goes, but they are all nice and a great finish.

Ron Erickson
04-07-2010, 4:05 PM
Looks pretty good to me Ron! Really nice forms, beautiful wood and finish!

What is it you don't like with the openings? The size? The slight rise? Just curious...I think they need more of a lip, or a rise at the opening, maybe I am to picky. Thank you for the comment.

Ron Erickson
04-07-2010, 4:12 PM
Ron, they all look great, and I know they are displayed as a grouping, but I do like the middle one better. You did a beautiful job on these. Very well turned, and the finish is fantastic. I am a walnut lover, anyway, and it is just great wood for turning or flatwork.

From the pic, the color doesn't look to be from an oil finish, even though that is what you used. Is it the lighting? Would seem the walnut would appear warmer/darker.It is called MinWax Antique Oil but it is a wipe on poly. Thanks.

Baxter Smith
04-07-2010, 4:14 PM
Very nice Ron. The center one is my favorite for form. I wonder how much of that preference is because the grain pattern more closely matches the outside shape. I notice those things on my own turnings but usually after they have come off the lathe.:)

Richard Madison
04-07-2010, 5:24 PM
Ron, The areas from the shoulder up need to curve a bit more toward horizontal, and then finish with a recurve upwards to a small lip. This one isn't perfect, but you get the idea.

Nathan Hawkes
04-07-2010, 5:34 PM
Great job. The grain on those pieces is really nice. BTW, the MAO is a wiping oil varnish, not a poly, at least that's what they call it anyway. It's my favorite finish as well. It gives a nice satiny compromise to the ultra high gloss that seems to make some things look unreal.

As to your forms, I would have to agree with you on the rims, but since you twice turned them, it sounds like they'd be good candidates for a contrasting wood to complement the walnut; maybe an ebonizing treatment or light maple would work as a finial. Play with it and keep us pictorally informed! ;)

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2010, 8:48 PM
Ron those look great. Form and finish look very nice.

David E Keller
04-07-2010, 8:55 PM
I love all three of them. I'm gonna try that finish... It's fantastic. I'd proudly display any of them or all of them. Great job.

Mark Hubl
04-07-2010, 8:59 PM
Ron,

I think they look great. The shapes are nice, the curves flow well and the bottoms are consistent and correctly proportional to the tops. If anything the entry holes may be a bit on the big size for the vessels. If they were 3/4 their size I think you would be happier. I don't know what tools you are working with, they my be limiting the size. If not try a piece with a smaller hole, you can always go bigger. Good job.

AO is an oil finish, not a poly. I use it a lot and have for a long time. As I turn more it is becoming the finish I like the best. It will build well and you can go from a nice satin finish all the way to glossy. Not as glossy as poly or laq though.

Curt Fuller
04-08-2010, 9:11 PM
There's something about turning 3 similar but different pieces and showing them as a group that always catches my eye. These look really nice. I like the slight differences in the shapes and the openings. I'm betting they look even better in person than the picture gives them credit too.

Mike McAfee
04-08-2010, 11:51 PM
They all look pretty darn good to me! I'm with the center and right piece group!

MMc

Aaron Wingert
04-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Beautiful work! I just love walnut, and you did it justice.

Harlan Coverdale
04-09-2010, 12:23 AM
There's something about turning 3 similar but different pieces and showing them as a group that always catches my eye. These look really nice. I like the slight differences in the shapes and the openings. I'm betting they look even better in person than the picture gives them credit too.

I'll second everything Curt said. Personally I like the sloped shoulders as much as or better than the nearly horizontal ones Richard showed. My only critique would be the photo itself, which seems a little washed out or overexposed. Great work!

Ron Erickson
04-09-2010, 8:07 AM
Thanks to all for taking the time to comment it is appreciated. Ron