PDA

View Full Version : Prescription Safety Glasses

Sean Nagle
04-07-2010, 1:06 PM
I'm trying to make some decisions about having prescription safety glasses made. I've looked up all the old threads discussing prescription safety glasses but there were a couple issues that never seemed to get fully discussed.

First, I was wondering if the conventional metal frames with the attachable side shields have any advantage or disadvantage over the wraparound style frames such as these?

http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductListing.aspx?ActivityCode=SAFETY&SeriesCode=798

Second, are there advantages to conventional bifocals over progressive lenses in the shop. I normally wear progressive lenses but have encountered some situations in the shop where I just couldn't focus properly. I've never worn regular bifocals, so I'm not sure whether to go this route.

Thanks for your input.

David Helm
04-07-2010, 1:20 PM
I have always worn traditional bifocals (actually trifocals). I know that the lenses for each aspect are larger than on progressives. For me, the line was easy to get used to. I wouldn't go without the trifocals because the middle lense has a focal length just twice that of the reading lense. Great for reading titles on bookshelves or seeing where that cut line actually is.

Jim Rimmer
04-07-2010, 1:35 PM
Sean:

Let me preface my comments by telling you I am the Safety Manager for the Texas region of our company, FWIW. The wrap around are OK if you are comfortable with them. We use both kinds. The side shield or wrap around is just there to keep foreign objects from coming in the side.

I wear bifocals and at one time got line type for safety and progressive for regualr. I hated transitioning from one to the other. I now have progressive lenses in my safety glasses.

Just make sure lenses and frames are Z87.

Don Jarvie
04-07-2010, 2:19 PM
It would probably be best if you got the same lenses you have in your regular glasses.

Ken Garlock
04-07-2010, 2:38 PM
Good afternoon, Sean.

For years I have worn my standard prescription made in Polycarbonate. I have had one accident where a 30+ 4X4 inch piece of hard maple jump out of my tenoning jig. I proceeded to punch me in the gut and rotated around and hit the edge of my left eye. The lens was knocked out of the frame, and it took me a couple days to find it on the shop floor. When I did find it, it had multiple deep scratches where the maple hit it; however, my face or eye was not damaged in the least. I still use the same frames today.

Do I think I need special glasses, heck no. The only advantage I can see with special safety glasses is the option to have them wrap around the head thus preventing small items from entering the eye from the side. I have been wearing glasses for over 50 years, and never had that as a problem, but the day is not over yet.;)

Mark Kosmowski
04-07-2010, 3:16 PM
Use side shields when you want to protect your eyes but don't think they need to be protected. Wear a face shield when you think you need to protect your eyes.

An advantage of detachable side shields is that your spouse is less likely to go in to the fancy restaurant without you when you remember to take said side shields off. :cool:

Shawn Pixley
04-07-2010, 3:23 PM
I purchased a pair of Polycarbonate wraparound safety glasses after I had a soccer accident (concussion, black eye, and torn up knee) that I use for both soccer and woodworking. The wraparound take a little getting used to but when you're there you'll love it.

I do use a full face shield for some activities as Mark suggested.

Ray Newman
04-07-2010, 3:28 PM
Yesterday I had my annual eye exam which showed a need for a slight stronger Rx. This morning I ordered a new pair of safety bifocals from WalMart for US $116.00 lenses and frame.

Never tried any other bifocal design so I can't comment.

Besides the safety glasses in the shop, I also wear a STIHL face shield in the shop when operating machinery. The face shield has a screen shield to prevent fogging and has ear muffs. Very comfortable to wear even with my hearing aids.

I tried safety goggles and find them uncomfortable. I would consider wrap around type safety glasses, but can not find any that comfortably fit over my glasses.

Gary Curtis
04-07-2010, 7:08 PM
I usually wear wrap-around safety glasses over my prescription lenses. $7 at Home Depot. Judging from I've read about accidents here on this forum, I think it is impossible to predict from which direction a hazard will strike, so side protection seems wise.

Any optometrist can provide an assortment of prescription frames and lenses. Somebody here mentioned liking polycarbonate lenses. The trade name for polycarbonate is Lexan, and they make bulletproof vests from it for good reason.

Gary Curtis

Alex Silva
04-07-2010, 10:45 PM
polycarbonate for 3.50$ at leevalley here
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=60558&cat=1,44047&ap=2

you can't wrong with these. I bought actually 5 pairs ! and I think I have a total of 8 safety glasses. One for each machine/bench in my shop

Cheers

Alex

Dave Cav
04-08-2010, 1:09 AM
My regular glasses are progressives, and my safety glasses are normal bifocals. I have about three pair of safety glasses, all with metal frames and side shields. Two pair are at school, one pair is in my home shop. I switch back and forth all the time and the transition doesn't bother me. The only time I really have a problem with the regular bifocals is when I'm working on a motorcycle, and then I usually end up either going back to my regular progressives, or not wearing any glasses (up close detail work or out of position work, usually upside down, were bifocals don't work). I got bifocal safety glasses due to the cost of progressives, but I may go to trifocals and if the expense difference isn't that much I may just go all the way to progressive for my safety glasses, too.

Neil Brooks
04-08-2010, 1:17 AM
Looks like the Lee Valley jobs have been discontinued :confused:

But ... I have two pair of the same thing -- over-the-glasses safety glasses.

A quick Google came up with one source:

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/fiovrxgl.html#top

Mine are pretty much like this (probably a nearly invisible pic !!):

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/safetyglassesusa_2102_84213556

I find them pretty convenient. Every couple of months, I buff them out with toothpaste and a soft cloth. They don't fog up on me, too readily, and the don't require shifting between my current progressives and another style of lens -- occasionally a PITA.

Nick Mastropietro
04-08-2010, 7:01 AM
Like most of us in our 50's my issue is poor vision up close so I have a pair of prescription reading glasses that transition so I don't have to keep looking over the top of the frame to see at distance. They worked fine for reading and for my normal day job, however in the shop, not so good. When I would be ripping down a sheet of plywood, it was very difficult to be able to clearly see the leading edge of the plywood where it met the fence. I explained this issue to my Optometrist who adjusted my prescription and had the lens' installed in a wrap around safety frame. Next to my Airstream Pro powered air breather, this has been a great investment. My 2 cents worth.

Matt Meiser
04-08-2010, 8:32 AM
Doesn't putting safety glasses over your regular glasses bug you guys? I have to do that fairly often for work and it really messes with my vision.

One advantage of buying safety glasses that look like regular glasses but have snap on side shields is that if something happens to your regular glasses they can be a backup.

At this point in my life my prescription doesn't change that much each year so every couple times I forgo new regular lenses and replace the ones in my safety glasses under my wife's vision insurance.

Ken, it sounds like you have a good strong pair of glasses but its not a safe assumption that any pair of glasses is going to hold up like that. Safety glasses get tested for impacts, including that the frame holds up and that the lens doesn't pop out as yours did.

Lee Schierer
04-08-2010, 9:00 AM
I'm trying to make some decisions about having prescription safety glasses made. I've looked up all the old threads discussing prescription safety glasses but there were a couple issues that never seemed to get fully discussed.

First, I was wondering if the conventional metal frames with the attachable side shields have any advantage or disadvantage over the wraparound style frames such as these?

http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductListing.aspx?ActivityCode=SAFETY&SeriesCode=798

Second, are there advantages to conventional bifocals over progressive lenses in the shop. I normally wear progressive lenses but have encountered some situations in the shop where I just couldn't focus properly. I've never worn regular bifocals, so I'm not sure whether to go this route.

Thanks for your input.
I have progressives an love them in the shop. Bifocals were either too short or too long to see what I needed to see. I ended up taking them off so I could see the close distances and the intermediate distances were impossible.

glenn bradley
04-08-2010, 9:31 AM
Disclaimer; this is worth exactly what you are paying for it ;-)

In answer to the question about the wrap-around frames vs. side shields; some prescriptions are not good candidates for lenses with that much deviation in surface. Also, safety frames are designed primarily to keep the lens from being pushed back towards the face whereas standard frames serve another purpose. That is; there is more to a safety glasses set than just the glass.

As to progressives vs. hard-lines; this will be a personal preference. Progressives have a much smaller focal area for a given distance and the "soft-focus" areas (read blurred) is more comfortable for many folks as opposed to the sudden "jump" of a hard line lens. I prefer the hard lines as I know exactly what to expect when I am looking through a given area of the lens. I also enjoy the large focal area so that I can move my eyes instead of my head.

These same characteristics that I prefer are found bothersome by others just as the 'slide' from one focal point to another which some folks find more comfortable is bothersome to me. The correct choice for you is what you prefer. Any good optometrist will have a large selection of frames and lens treatment options. I went with a large lens (a la Gary Rogowski) and anti reflecting/glare and scratch resistant coatings. Having a dad who is an optometrist made my choices much easier on my brain and my pocketbook however.

Lee Schierer
04-08-2010, 10:05 AM
As to progressives vs. hard-lines; this will be a personal preference. Progressives have a much smaller focal area for a given distance and the "soft-focus" areas (read blurred) is more comfortable for many folks as opposed to the sudden "jump" of a hard line lens. I prefer the hard lines as I know exactly what to expect when I am looking through a given area of the lens. I also enjoy the large focal area so that I can move my eyes instead of my head.

Viewing area is a variable depending upon the manufacturer of the lens. Zeis gradal progressives don't have the fuzzy focus problem you mention and have a wide intermediate viewing area as compared to others. They have a very wide bifocal area. However eh are significantly more costly, you do get what you pay for. I also recommend the anti glare and scratch resistant coatings.

Sean Nagle
04-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Glenn is correct about the wraparound frames. I found out they are limited to 2-3 diopter corrections at best, so that makes my decision on frame type.

Dave, I found that progressives are no more than about $20-$25 more than bifocals, both at Sam's and online, so that doesn't really factor into the decision. I'll probably go with polycarbonate progressives in the conventional metal-frame.

Lee, I'll be going with the Zeiss for my new everyday eyeglasses, but I can't see spending almost $300 just for the lenses in my safety glasses, considering I'm just a hobbyist.

Jason White
04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm not a fan of the wraparound glasses unless I'm cutting through concrete or using the gas edger (flying debris like rocks, sticks, etc.). My face gets too hot and sweaty and then I can't see anything.

I just started wearing the "plus 1" reading glasses, so I'm thinking I need bifocal type safety glasses for woodworking. Have not tried them yet, but I bet they would make it easier for me to see a pencil line when cutting on my bandsaw!

Jason

Thanks for your input.

Ellen Benkin
04-08-2010, 11:22 AM
I have worn glasses since I was 10 years old (a very long time indeed). I am near sighted and my normal glasses are progressive. I have sun glasses from Walgreens that fit over my regular glasses and love them. I have a pair in my car and one in the house. When they get lost or scratched, I just buy another pair.

My safety glasses are the ones with the side shields. The prescription is set so that I can see at "reading" distance but not at long distances because I only use them in the shop. I like the single prescription because I don't have to manage the focal points of the progressive lenses. However, I really don't think the side shields are adequate for shop work. Most of my problems are from dust getting in my eyes from table saws or router tables and these glasses do nothing to prevent that. Goggles are much better, but really uncomfortable. I suspect that the wraparounds would not be effective either.

So, I'm still hunting for a better pair of shop glasses that work for dust and flying debris.

Sean Nagle
04-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Ellen, I'm considering buying an additional pair of safety glasses with single vision and reading correction for the whole field. I think they would work very well for detailed layout and hand-cutting mortises and dovetails. I have found that my progressives don't offer a large enough field of view when doing that type of close work. I would end up repeatedly removing and putting on my eyeglasses.

Ellen Benkin
04-08-2010, 1:45 PM
Sean,
I started with single focal single purpose glasses when I started working with computers. Most people who use computers all day have problems with progressive and multi-focal glasses and are happiest with glasses set for "computer" distance. I find that when I do close up woodworking with my regular glasses that I have to take them off to really see what I'm doing. I would always suggest single focal glasses for specialized work (including lengthy book reading sessions). They are not expensive if you opt for really cheap frames.

glenn bradley
04-08-2010, 4:17 PM
Zeis gradal progressives don't have the fuzzy focus problem you mention and have a wide intermediate viewing area as compared to others. They have a very wide bifocal area. However eh are significantly more costly, you do get what you pay for. I also recommend the anti glare and scratch resistant coatings.

I'm glad Lee mentioned this as it sounded like I was dogging progressives which was not my intention. Dad has a pair of the larger focal area lenses that have recently become available and they are an improvement. As Lee says, they cost more but, so do the coatings and such that I would be reluctant to do without. You do indeed, get what you pay for.

There is a wide array of product out there and it serves you well to look around a bit (no pun intended) ;) It is different for everyone but at my age, it so happens that my Rx hasn't changed for almost 3 years. A couple hundred dollars or so for glasses I am happy with is cheap when spread out over time.

Sean Nagle
04-08-2010, 4:31 PM
My distance vision has changed little over the years (though it actually improved a tiny bit in one eye at my latest exam). However, what continues to change is my reading distance correction. It seems I will still need to change lenses every couple years until that too stabilizes.

Ellen Benkin
04-08-2010, 8:40 PM
The person who makes my glasses can set the near and far focal points wherever I want them on the lens. Is this unusual?

Neil Brooks
04-08-2010, 8:43 PM
The person who makes my glasses can set the near and far focal points wherever I want them on the lens. Is this unusual?

Not at all.

For near/reading/computer/hobby glasses, you SHOULD tell your optometrist what the distance is.

Then, they SHOULD adjust the prescription to give you BCVA (Best Corrected Visual Acuity) AT that distance.

Without input from the patient, they'll give you the "average" near and intermediate distance.

90% of the time, this will be fine, but ... for US ... we probably need a different distance or SET of distances, for WW.

Josiah Bartlett
04-09-2010, 3:06 PM
I recently switched to contact lenses about a year ago, and I have to say I feel liberated. I still wear my glasses once in a while, but they are really inconvenient. Contact lens technology has advanced a huge amount in the last few years. I have a fairly gnarly astigmatism, and the new lenses are able to correct for it with a minimum of fuss. I'm really picky about my vision, and my doc worked with me to find a brand and prescription that really works for me. I'm able to work on a computer all day for my day job and then go home and my eyes still aren't tired.

The best part is that now I can wear a full face shield or cheapo off the shelf safety glasses with no problem at all, and I can wear gas station sunglasses. The only time I wear my glasses in the shop now is while welding or working with solvents- it would be bad to accidentally glue a contact lens to my cornea.

I got used to having the lenses in pretty quickly, and taking them in and out is not at all hard once you learn. The ones I wear cost $5 a set and last for 4-6 weeks, so it is cheaper than wearing glasses if you have to buy a regular set, a safety set, and a set of sunglasses, and you get full peripheral vision as a benefit.

Neil Brooks
04-09-2010, 4:46 PM
Well ... to the President's point (I think "Bartlet" is spelled with only one "t," by the way !) ....

Contacts, a GOOD result with refractive surgery (PRK, Lasik, IOL, etc) are tons better than futzing with glasses, IMHO.

But ... I just got back from the optometrist's office.

Somebody asked about the over-the-glasses safety glasses. Nah. I don't find them to be a big deal. If you don't HATE glasses, then ... wearing the safety glasses OVER them isn't a major inconvenience.

But ... since I just spent the money to get a pair of these....

http://www.med-lite.com/Pics/250-Clip-on3.jpg

... and they're too heavy for my WIRE framed "invisible" glasses frames (weight = wobble = blur) ... I bought a pair of cheap, sturdy, single-vision eyeglasses with polycarbonate lenses that will better work for the loupes.

Like Norm (sorry), if you have Trivex (http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/chemicals/Optical/Trivex/EN) or Polycarbonate lenses, then -- as long as you're comfortable with your regular glasses, and feel "safe" without wraparound protection -- that seems a pretty good option, too.

I was due for a pair of back-ups, anyway, so .....

Sean Nagle
04-09-2010, 5:55 PM
Is that thing supposed to clamp to your skull :confused:

Neil Brooks
04-09-2010, 5:59 PM
Is that thing supposed to clamp to your skull :confused:

Pop rivets :D

Nah. The ones I bought are clip-ons, and attach to eyeglasses.

Most "regular" loupes come with their own non-prescription eyeglass frames/lenses, as in....

http://www.med-lite.com/Pics/MedLite-LED1.jpg