PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy is HOT

Jim Young
11-11-2004, 11:35 PM
After nearly a year of having our new wood floor in the kitchen we decided it was time to fill in the holes. Over the last Christmas break my wife and I installed an industrial oak floor. The wood has lost of knot holes and bug holes and branch holes and more. It givess the floor that authentic old time look. My 7 year old was complaining to me a week ago that her little toe got stuck in one of the holes. Not actually stuck but she did jamb it. We have been meaning to fill the holes but have been lazy. Sooooo, I mixed up a batch of epoxy and black coloring in one of those graduated paper cups from Woodcraft. After about fifteen minutes of filling holes I noticed the cup started to warm up, figured it was just the chemical reaction. Told my wife about it and she figured I was imagining it. After a few more minutes the cup got so hot I could barely hold it, the wax coating from the dup was actually melting onto my fingers. I also noticed that as the goop heated up it was getting harder to work with. Now when it gets hot I know that I don't have much time left. Just thought I would share the experience.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-11-2004, 11:51 PM
You're RIGHT ON - Catalitic(sp) reaction! Really warms you up on a COLD DAY!

Have to be as or more careful than CA. Epoxy can sneak up on you and before you know it you're being burnt to a crisp.

Been there and felt that! OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-12-2004, 12:55 AM
On a pleasant summer day with temps in the 90s, you have about one minute of working time with SystemIII fast epoxy before it's smoking...literally. You have to be careful with large voids, too...volume plays a part in the curing process, and too much can cure too fast.

KC

Tyler Howell
11-12-2004, 6:31 AM
Hey KC Just thinking how wonderfull it is down in the bilg of a sailboat, same temp, hanging upside down no air circulating. No more, that's a young persons sport.

YO YO Jim!! We'd love to see your new floor:)

Jay Knoll
11-12-2004, 6:46 AM
Yes, been there, done that,

Actually the problem isn't likely to occur if you "spread out" the expoxy in a larger container. Larger concentrations in smaller containers seem to heat up faster as the expoy kicks. I had a minor eruption when I was using a yogurt container as a mixing pot on a hot Florida day. When I used an old margarine container for the next batch, I didn't have any problems

Alan Turner
11-12-2004, 2:51 PM
Yup. My bride is never allowed to dispose of an alum. pie plate.
Alan

Charles McKinley
11-12-2004, 7:13 PM
Can epoxy burst into flames like fiberglass resin if you add too much hardner?