PDA

View Full Version : Proof Preference Means Nothing

Jim Koepke
04-07-2010, 3:10 AM
"Be careful what you mention to the new neighbor" might be another title for this one. When my new neighbor and I were getting acquainted I mentioned that I was interested in old planes and fixing them up. Well, he did not quite understand what I meant by old planes and picked one up at an auction in town for me. He is kind of young, so to him I guess if it is older than me it must be really old. At least it was not way out in the stratosphere on price, so it was not a big deal.

Anyway, I explained that I usually like to get ones older than this and gave him a quick explanation of what my interests were.

After taking this one home and lapping the sole, lapping the sides, lapping the frog, gluing the tote back together, cleaning off the rust, honing the blade, adjusting the cap iron and painting the tote and knob it isn't too bad a plane.

It is a bit more sensitive on the lateral adjuster than I am used to having. The disk seems a little bigger and is not as worn as most of my planes. There were some dings in the slot of the blade that had a bit of an effect, but even cleaning those up and it is still sensitive and has less play than any of my other planes.

It does make nice shavings though, thick or thin. Darn thing has one of those ever so popular after market user installed hang holes.

jim

Maurice Ungaro
04-07-2010, 8:41 AM
Dang.... Jim, would you complain if they hanged you with a new rope too?

george wilson
04-07-2010, 9:12 AM
Jim,you are one plane cleaning maniac!!! :)

Frederick Gross
04-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I like the war era castings....a little extra heft to sit on a board.

Jim Koepke
04-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Dang.... Jim, would you complain if they hanged you with a new rope too?

Well, not if I still could after it was used...
But then of course, it would likely chafe and be less likely to break.

Jim,you are one plane cleaning maniac!!! :)

After I started cleaning, it was realized there wasn't any before pictures.

I like the war era castings....a little extra heft to sit on a board.

From the looks of the blade and the paint spatters, there was less time spent on wood and more time spent as a drop cloth.

jim

Jonathan McCullough
04-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Very nice job Jim. I've got one of that general era, and you know, there's really very little to complain about. It makes an excellent user.

Have you noticed that paint splatters on old tools always seem to come in either that creamy sort of Navajo white, or avocado green? And what is it with roofing tar and plumber's putty on old saw handles? I'm beginning to think it's a conspiracy.

Chen-Tin Tsai
04-07-2010, 1:16 PM
Nice. I actually like the type 17's. They have nice, beefy castings.

Frederick Gross
04-07-2010, 1:38 PM
Well, not if I still could after it was used...

From the looks of the blade and the paint spatters, there was less time spent on wood and more time spent as a drop cloth.

jim

As is found in most of the war-era and post war-era planes I came across, the general trend toward power tools after the war left a lot of good users out there to be found and fettled.