PDA

View Full Version : Straight-line finishing sanders

John Hollaway
04-07-2010, 12:49 AM
I've been searching for an electric straight-line finish sander without any luck. All the big names seem to have only orbital finish sanders and I already have 4 of those. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vince Shriver
04-07-2010, 1:32 AM
Porter Cable 1/2 sheet sander, but not dust collection. Great sander.

Frank Martin
04-07-2010, 1:35 AM
Festool is the only one I am aware of:

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/specialty-sanders/ls-130-eq-linear-sander-567777.html

I've been searching for an electric straight-line finish sander without any luck. All the big names seem to have only orbital finish sanders and I already have 4 of those. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Doug Hobkirk
04-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Aren't all the very old sanders found at garage sales linear?

Tony Bilello
04-07-2010, 10:41 AM
"I've been searching for an electric straight-line finish sander without any luck."

Most straight line sanders I have seen are air operated. My first intuition would be to go to an automotive paint store and I dont mean Auto Zone or O'reillys. Find one that sells quality spray guns and the like.
Some refer to a straight line sander as a 'flap sander' because of the sound.

Rob Cunningham
04-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Sears used to sell a half sheet sander that switched from orbital to straight line with a lever on the side. I bought one at a garage sale for $10 and it lasted for years. I don't see it on their website but you could try looking in the store.

Steve Jenkins
04-07-2010, 2:26 PM
try googling NITTO. They made some really nice small sanders. I guess they are still around.
OOPS I just checked and they are pneumatic. sorry
http://www.nittokohki.com/tools/products/powertools/sanders/index.html

Scot Ferraro
04-07-2010, 6:17 PM
+1 on Festool...look at the LS 130 EQ.

Scot

Josiah Bartlett
04-07-2010, 6:23 PM
Sears used to sell a half sheet sander that switched from orbital to straight line with a lever on the side. I bought one at a garage sale for $10 and it lasted for years. I don't see it on their website but you could try looking in the store.

I have one of those. It isn't smooth, but it is powerful. And messy! It does both straight and orbital pretty well.

george wilson
04-07-2010, 9:31 PM
My old 1960's Craftsman sander is dual use,with a little lever to switch to straight line. Trouble is,it only does about 3600 RPM.

Loren Hedahl
04-08-2010, 9:31 AM
I have an old 60's Craftsman 1/2 sheet sander that has the ability to shift into linear sanding. It also came with a dust bag that can be removed so that a vacuum hose can be attached for pretty good dust collection.

Since it is heavy, about the only time I break it out is for sanding table tops, however even then seldom in the linear mode.

For me it is easier to use a piece of 220 grit paper with a sanding block and do the final sanding by hand. It usually doesn't take much, just a few swipes, then check progress by wiping the surface with a rag with a small amount of paint thinner. Before the wood dries, you can see any swirls and curls left behind from the oscillating sander.

I have a couple of Festool sanders, but have never tried the linear one. Undoubtedly it is a lot better than the old Craftsman, but I can't say how much better.