PDA

View Full Version : NC Lacquer ?

brent lenthall
11-11-2004, 9:04 PM
I'm trying to decide on a topcoat for some painted cabinets I'm working on.

The visit to SW left me wanting to double check and get other options regarding NC Lacquer as a topcoat.

I've primed with Zinnser's Shellac based primer and need to knew if I can top coat with SW Opex NC white lacquer? If not, what Primer do I need?

In the past I used an oil based enamel but didn't get great results and had problems with the very long dry time. I'm using a cheap single stage turbine HVLP system.

I need to topcoat tomorrow, any suggestions?

brent

Jim Becker
11-11-2004, 9:27 PM
One must be very careful about what one puts solvent-based lacquer over...the solvents will disolve many other finishes. In theory, you would use an NC Lacquer based sealer or vinyl sealer under the lacquer. Since you already applied the Zinsser product, just do a test on scrap similarly treated to see if you have any issues.

Personally, I stick with water based acrylic lacquer (Target Coatings) for both safety and easy cleanup.

Cecil Arnold
11-11-2004, 11:39 PM
If you used shellac you can safely apply Nitro-Cell laquer over it. Shellac (dewaxed) can also be used under Enduro water based precat coatings (per their sales people even though it was like pulling teeth to get them to admit it) and is cheaper than their primer. I'm not sure if there is anything that can't be applied over shellac.

brent lenthall
11-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks Jim and Cecil,

I talked with the SW Chemical rep in Nashville this morning. He really knows his stuff and confirmed that I can spray over the shellac sealer. Also, to avoid yellowing, he suggested going with a Cab Acrylic Lacquer. I'll post results after the install.