PDA

View Full Version : ? about Jet lathe output

Mac Carlton
04-07-2010, 12:02 AM
I was thinking about the jet 16/42 for my next lathe and had made my mind up on the 1 and half horse until I found out the output is only 1 horse.
Can anyone tell me the output on the 2 horse jet 16/42 ?? Or maybe the 2 horse powermatic...

Mac Carlton
04-07-2010, 2:30 AM
The output is on the lathe itself, I seen it with my own eyes.
Incase you want to know where I found it. A buddy just bought one and I was looking at it and our club President(AAW) pointed it out to me. Its about a 3hr drive each way to go to where they sell them to look at the 2 horse Jet and I don't even know if the powermatic list this on itself. I have not found it in the catalogs that I have.

Bob Espy
04-07-2010, 8:45 AM
For many folks, horsepower is a size thing (bigger is better). I have a
1-1/2 horse JET 1642 and turn bowls to its limit, plus use a McNaughton coring system with no problems. I used the difference in $$$ to buy a chuck. Food for thought.

Steve Schlumpf
04-07-2010, 8:50 AM
Mac - I have the 2 hp version and it does state '2 hp' on the motor spec plate. I would suspect that the 1 1/2 hp rating is accurate as well or you would have a lot of folks noticing a lack of power.

Bernie Weishapl
04-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I looked at the Jet 1 1/2 hp unit when I was in the market. I turned on one but bought the Nova DVR because of space limitations in my shop. I have turned on one my friend bought here in town. He slid the headstock to the end of the lathe and turned about a 20 inch bowl and it handled it with ease. He also cores on his with no problems. He is extremely happy with his and bought it because in his old garage he doesn't have 220V. Like Steve said if it didn't have the power there would be a lot of folks unhappy campers that bought them.