PDA

View Full Version : Dado idea

Lynn Reid
04-06-2010, 8:55 PM
I have built a micro adjustable box joint jig. The problem is I don't have a true flat bottom dado cutter...and I cant afford one right now. I had the idea of using two 10" flat top rip blades and shimming them out to 1/4". I was wondering if anyone has done this or is it feasible. I could use my router but I'm not sure if it is powerful enough (1 3/4 hp)...and also worry about the tear out. I could use some advise if any of you are willing to share. Thanks. Lynn

Dan Keeling
04-06-2010, 9:27 PM
I have heard of stacking several circular saw blades together to make a low budget dado.
http://www.woodgears.ca/shop-tricks/dado.html

Lee Schierer
04-08-2010, 9:58 AM
Without a chipper, you would probably leave some waste behind between the blades.

Gene Howe
04-08-2010, 10:28 AM
1/4" box joints should be no problem for your router.
Back up your cut and you won't have a problem with tear out. I use a 1/2" spiraled plunge cutter but, don't know if one is available in 1/4".

scott spencer
06-12-2010, 3:42 AM
It's not all that economical to gang two 24T FTG blades together to get 1/4" kerf. It'll take at least two full kerf blades, and they must be identical. The cheaper versions I've seen start in the $25 range each, with most between $40 and $50 each. It's not that hard to find a decent dado set in the $60-$70 range.

FWIW, your router should handle this cut with ease.

Britt Lifsey
06-12-2010, 7:05 AM
I'd try router. If not enough umph, either a rough cut with a cheaper dado blade on TS and then cleanup with your router OR multiple passes on router.

Myk Rian
06-12-2010, 7:27 AM
A straight bit will work. You don't need a dado bit.
Just be sure to back the wood up with scrap to prevent tearout.

Paul Ryan
06-12-2010, 9:52 AM
Your router will easily handle up to 3/4" dado with out hesitating. But I have and still use 2 thin kerf blades stacked together to make dados and rabbits when using 1/4 plywood. Since 1/4 plywood is actually smaller and I am too cheap to by the router bit, and besides a table saw is a heck of a lot easier to use to cut those anyhow. I bought a 2 pack of dewalt 60 tooth blades from the BORG years ago and they sat around collecting dust until I tried putting them together. Works like a charm. Even works on a sawstop. The blade brake doesn't realize there are 2 blades in there.

Greg Scull
06-12-2010, 10:32 AM
It's not that hard to find a decent dado set in the $60-$70 range.

Agreed, I got a freud 6" set off ebay for 12$ + shipping, Flat bottoms no issues, I think it was used once or brand new!