PDA

View Full Version : Seeking a couple good books about wood.

Russell Sansom
04-06-2010, 8:35 PM
Turned out to be a difficult search. The word "wood" is everywhere.
I'm looking for a couple good books about wood. I've seen a couple recommendations lately, but can't remember what they were. The group wisdom is much appreciated.

Jeff Willard
04-06-2010, 9:01 PM
:confused:Can you narrow the search some? "Wood" is a rather broad subject. Are you looking for info on the properties of the material? How to work it? Identification?

Charlie Doret
04-06-2010, 9:07 PM
I am not sure exactly what you are after, but many would argue that THE book is _Understanding Wood_ by R. Bruce Hoadley. It contains tons of useful information, including:

-identifying native North American hard- and softwoods
-drying and milling lumber
-designing around and dealing with moisture and dimensional change
-finishes

plus plenty of other things that don't come immediately to mind.

Right now it's selling for $26.37 in hardcover on Amazon via the SMC store.

Van Huskey
04-06-2010, 9:10 PM
I have:

Porter's Wood identification and use

Hoadley's Understanding Wood

Gibb's Wood Bible

I like all three and recommend them, I always take the wood bible to the lumberyard since it is a rather small format. All are available at Amazon. For more just search wood identification on Amazon

Logan William
04-06-2010, 9:24 PM
Wood Handbook: Wood as an engineering material

Published by the Dept of Ag's Forest Products Lab, its an excellent book on wood, and you can get the full, legal PDF at the link below then if you like it you can buy the hardcover, well worth the 20 dollars for the oversized hardback version.

Wood Handbook (http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/products/publications/specific_pub.php?posting_id=17335)

Van Huskey
04-06-2010, 9:44 PM
Wood Handbook: Wood as an engineering material

Published by the Dept of Ag's Forest Products Lab, its an excellent book on wood, and you can get the full, legal PDF at the link below then if you like it you can buy the hardcover, well worth the 20 dollars for the oversized hardback version.

Wood Handbook (http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/products/publications/specific_pub.php?posting_id=17335)

Thanks, thats a GREAT link!

Mark Lincoln
04-07-2010, 8:05 AM
"many would argue that THE book is _Understanding Wood_ by R. Bruce Hoadley."

I just got this book 2 days ago. It is a great book. In my opinion it includes those "basics" about wood that you need to know.

Logan William
04-07-2010, 8:23 AM
Thanks, thats a GREAT link!

Glad to help, its kinda considered basic reading material for my job at work, don't know how many times its answered some random question that came up