PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Question: Why the 3 teeth minimum in your stock?

Matt Clara
04-06-2010, 5:26 PM
I've heard it often cited: one should have a minimum of three teeth of the saw blade in the stock at any time. No one explains why, though. Too many teeth makes for more work/slower cutting (but better finish), but what's the fear of too few?

Thanks!

Tom Esh
04-06-2010, 5:40 PM
Because it's nearly impossible not to over-feed in that case. The work gets pushed too far beyond the cutting tip of the tooth (into the gullet), and it starts getting torn rather than cut.

Paul Atkins
04-06-2010, 7:33 PM
Try a 1/8" piece of maple on a 2 tooth blade - gets exciting.

Matt Clara
04-06-2010, 7:41 PM
lol--speaking as a guy looking forward to some tendon work on my right index finger due to a router table mishap, excitement is not what I'm looking for. In fact, this question has to do with safety, as I've cut 3/8 fretboards with 3 tpi before, I want to make sure I'm not doing something stupid.

Thanks for the responses.

Mike Cutler
04-06-2010, 8:57 PM
Matt

3 teeth is just kind of the "standard" as handed down through the ages. If you have three teeth, or four the leading edge of the cut is balanced against the blade. Pressure, or force should be more or less uniform on the leading edge, aiding in safety.
Too many teeth and the blade clogs and burns, too few and the stock gets caught and sucked down into the throat, which can get exciting.
For a finer cut, or radius, more teeth, for wet green wood fewer teeth with and a more aggressive tooth configuration.
The tooth configuration for resawing tropical hardwood, will be different than a domestic hardwood, or softwood because the grain structure may be radically different.
There are more than a few variables, and a lot of experimentation, but 3 or 4 teeth minimum should allow you too experiment safely.