PDA

View Full Version : Thread inserts in phenolic faced plywood

Michael Wildt
04-06-2010, 5:11 PM
I'm thinking of installing some thread inserts into some phenolic faced plywood. The inserts I've found at rockler and they are steel. Since this type of plywood is very hard I'm concerned the install could be hard, like the threads on the inserts would collapse and not bite into the plywood.

Anyone tried this before ?

Thanks in advance.

Eric DeSilva
04-06-2010, 5:23 PM
I'm thinking of installing some thread inserts into some phenolic faced plywood. The inserts I've found at rockler and they are steel. Since this type of plywood is very hard I'm concerned the install could be hard, like the threads on the inserts would collapse and not bite into the plywood.

Anyone tried this before ?

Thanks in advance.

Most phenolic plywood is a very, very thin layer of phenolic over normal plywood. Solid phenolic is very, very hard, but I doubt that is what you intend to use. I don't think you will have any trouble at all.

pat warner
04-06-2010, 5:28 PM
Would consider steel threaded inserts (OD & ID) for an easier installation.
Pins (http://patwarner.com/images/pwinsert.jpg) lock the thing up.

jerry nazard
04-06-2010, 5:58 PM
Would consider steel threaded inserts (OD & ID) for an easier installation.
Pins (http://patwarner.com/images/pwinsert.jpg) lock the thing up.

Hello, Patrick. Are those helicoils that you are using? Very interesting!

-Jerry

pat warner
04-06-2010, 7:42 PM
Not helicolis. These are machined steel parts, inside/outside and machine slotted to drive/accept the lock pins into the the stock. About a buck a piece, expensive but failure rate non-existent.

glenn bradley
04-06-2010, 8:21 PM
I put steel threaded inserts (from Rockler or Woodcraft) into the bottom of my 1" thick phenolic faced plywood DP table. No problems; its just BB ply with a phenolic face. I prepare the holes as Pat shows with a little chamfer in the phenolic.

Michael Wildt
04-06-2010, 8:49 PM
Thanks guys, you've confirmed what I was looking for. Pat's picture displays a perfect example of what I was looking for.

Yep, the phenolic covered ply is BB ply, though I've always thought the glue used was different, aka harder.

As both Pat and Glen listed I plan to install it the same way. I might hit the threads with some wax as a lube first though.

Pat; What is the type you're using ? They look different than what Rockler provides. Haven't looked at Woodcraft since Rockler have free shipping ;-)