PDA

View Full Version : Router Plate leveling screws

Sean Hughes
11-11-2004, 8:20 PM
Just a quick question that someone can hopefully help me with. The leading edge of my plate on my router table drops from what I'm assuming is the vibrations due to the router. The plastic leveling screws seem to be backing themselves out. Any hints on how to correct this problem? Thanks in advance!!

Sean

Eric McMillan
11-11-2004, 8:55 PM
Try a drop of loctite on the threads. Be sure you get the version that can be removed without having to heat the screws.

John R Lucas
11-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Go to HD or Lowes and measure the screws you have in there now...and then get the next size up. That usually works. A better way is to also get the tap that will thread the next size up.

John Miliunas
11-11-2004, 11:34 PM
Sean, I had the same problem with my TS blade insert plate. I backed them out and just put a dab of silicon caulk on the threads and screwed them back in, making sure I leveled the insert. No more problems, though I know I can easily back them out if need be. :cool:

Dave Moran
11-12-2004, 7:18 AM
As Eric suggested Loctite, but a variation I use for adjusting screws. Put the loctite on, I use purple, thread them together to distribute the material then disassemble them and let it dry, overnight is best as it normally cures anareobic. This leaves a higher friction mating surface with less clearance, I usually only need to readjust mine once or twice a year.

Mac McAtee
11-12-2004, 2:46 PM
A little dab of shellac on the screw threads will do nicely and it is way cheap if you have some already mixed up.

Sean Hughes
11-15-2004, 3:06 PM
Thanks for all your ideas. I was away for the weekend, but I think I'll try the silicone idea this week.

Sean