PDA

View Full Version : Nova Chuck on Sale

Mike McAfee
04-06-2010, 2:39 PM
For anyone looking to add another chuck to their tool box, Wood Craft has the Nova Precision Midi Chuck with 2 sets of jaws on sale for 80 bucks at the moment!

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080325/28578/Nova-Precision-Midi-Chuck-with-Two-Jaw-Sets.aspx

I ordered one so I don't have to keep switching my G3 between my Nova and Jet 10/14!

Just thought I'd pass that along!

MMc

Marc Fish
04-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I picked that one up a week ago....Got the free shipping too...
Going to put and leave the 25mm Jaws on it. My other chuck has the 5omm on it. I need to get the pin jaws next, but I will wait for them to go on sale.

Mike Minto
04-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Marc - just to pass this on -the nova pin jaws only have one retaining screw; I sold mine. The Sorby pin jaw set has 2 screws. In contraction mode the Nova set deflects, but in expansion mode did work fine.

Marc Fish
04-07-2010, 1:18 PM
Marc - just to pass this on -the nova pin jaws only have one retaining screw; I sold mine. The Sorby pin jaw set has 2 screws. In contraction mode the Nova set deflects, but in expansion mode did work fine.

Mike...
Thanks for the heads up....I did read about the deflection in another thread. I also saw the jaws were mounted with only 1 screw each and that kind of worried me. So does the sorby pin jaws fit the Nova chuck?

Thanks,
Marc

Alan Trout
04-07-2010, 3:00 PM
The new Nova pin jaws that come in the 4 jaw set have 2 screws and work great. I have a set.

Alan

Mike Minto
04-07-2010, 3:07 PM
Marc, I'm told the Sorby jaws all fit the Nova, and verce visa :p; had not heard about the 'new' Nova pin jaws, I'll have to check that out myself. Thanks, Alan.

Ryan Baker
04-07-2010, 8:54 PM
I can confirm the deflection with the Nova pin jaws in contraction mode. The Sorby jaws are interchangeable, but I haven't used them. My Woodcraft is having a sale this weekend -- maybe I will see if they have the new four-jaw set to check out. I have seen that before but didn't see anything in it that I really needed. But if it has a good set of pin jaws, I might be interested. Best I could tell, none of them have the internal dovetails though, which is the biggest problem with the pin jaws.

Jim Sebring
04-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Keep in mind that the Nova Pin jaws are just a longer version of the 25mm jaws. I have both sets.

Alan Trout
04-08-2010, 9:04 AM
The new 2 screw pin/spigot jaws are nothing like the 25MM bowl jaws or the older pin jaws. They look much more like the pin/spigot jaws offered by Sorby and Oneway. They can be used in both contraction and expansion mode. This comes in the new 4 jaw mini set that is offered. Here is more info on the set. http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/150306_Technical%20Data.pdf

Alan

Ryan Baker
04-08-2010, 9:59 PM
Too bad they don't sell the new pin jaws without the other three in the set. I'm not spending $100 for one (useful) set of jaws. My Stronghold pin jaws work a lot better anyway.