PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Cummins tools?

Mike Cruz
04-06-2010, 9:45 AM
Am I correct that Cummins tools are the equivelant to Central Machinery from Harbor Freight? I recently saw an ad on CL for a Cummins Lathe. Did some research and it was difficult to find a whole heck of a lot about it, but it seemed to resemble one of the HF models. I've had a HF jointer, and while it did an OK job, it certainly wasn't a quality machine.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Logan William
04-06-2010, 10:08 AM
IMO you're correct in assuming Cummins is on the same level as Central and HF, I'm sure there are some very rough diamonds out there.....but I my limited experience with them has taught me enough I just stay away.

Homer Faucett
04-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I had one. It was O.K., but I would recommend getting one of the Excelsior lathes from Rockler when they go on sale instead. The Cummins lathe bed flexes--not a good thing--and the tool rest is almost impossible to lock down--very bad thing. My wife bought mine for me as a present. I did turn some things on it, and it will work. However, I did end up replacing it with an old school Delta.

FWIW, Cummins did not make a lathe when I last checked, so support is probably nonexistant. Their tools are usually sold from the back of a semi at these traveling tool sales, and I've found them to be rather unreliable.

Am I correct that Cummins tools are the equivelant to Central Machinery from Harbor Freight? I recently saw an ad on CL for a Cummins Lathe. Did some research and it was difficult to find a whole heck of a lot about it, but it seemed to resemble one of the HF models. I've had a HF jointer, and while it did an OK job, it certainly wasn't a quality machine.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Matt Meiser
04-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I'd rate them below Central Machinery. Harbor Freight has a stores and can get you parts. Cummins sells/sold? their stuff out of tents and VFW halls.

Mike Cruz
04-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I'll avoid it. Oh, and they must make a lathe, because the pic shows it in its box. But you are probably right about the CS being non existent or iffy at best...

Randal Stevenson
04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
I'd rate them below Central Machinery. Harbor Freight has a stores and can get you parts. Cummins sells/sold? their stuff out of tents and VFW halls.

We have both a HF, and what used to be (they had to change their name after a lawsuit with the diesel folks), Cummin's tools, a few miles apart. They do have B&M stores, and Homier used to have tent sales between the two stores (my understanding is Homier has B&M stores in parts of the country as well). My take from attending all three:
HF is the best of the bunch (has both gems and crud)
Cummin's tools is second, only due to some closeout and store closed items they have carried. Otherwise, they (locally) try to charge retail, for their refurbished Ridgid stuff, when they are a mile and a half from Home Depot.
Homier, is the bottom of the bunch (at least from what I saw, and was given from one of their tent sales).

Matt Meiser
04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Ah--I got Homier and Cummins are mixed together in my mind. Both have done truckload sales here, but now that I think about it, Homier usually does a tent and Cummins does the VFW.