PDA

View Full Version : Some days I wonder about me........

Terry Hatfield
04-06-2010, 8:29 AM
So I need to get a bandsaw blade because I was cutting some PVC and it bound up and knocked a couple of teeth off my old one. I whip out my Grizzly catalog and proceed to order the one that I need. Timberwolf 131.5" X 1/2" 3tpi. Only problem is, when it comes it's 10tpi. I consult the catalog. I ordered the wrong one...sigh. I order again. Yesterday it comes. This one is 1/4" x 4 tpi. I consult the catalog again. Again I have ordered the wrong part number. So now I have ordered a 3rd time. Any bets if I have actually ordered what I wanted in the first place? The bright side is that I am now fulled equipped for any band saw situation that I might face for the rest of my life. :rolleyes:

t

Dan Friedrichs
04-06-2010, 10:18 AM
You can have those shipped to me, since you don't need them :)

I tried cutting 6" S+D PVC on the bandsaw once, with bad results. One of the teeth caught the pipe a little, squeezed it a little, and it shattered into a billion sharp pieces. I use a hacksaw, now...

Terry Hatfield
04-06-2010, 10:34 AM
You can have those shipped to me, since you don't need them :)

I tried cutting 6" S+D PVC on the bandsaw once, with bad results. One of the teeth caught the pipe a little, squeezed it a little, and it shattered into a billion sharp pieces. I use a hacksaw, now...

I'm building me band saw blade collection don't you know. I think I have just about every configuration that Timber Wolf makes now.

I had cut a ton and I mean a TON of PVC on the BS with no issue until......POW!!! Same result as you had. The pipe shattered an scared me to death. I just cut it off with the jig saw now. :D

Rod Sheridan
04-06-2010, 11:15 AM
It's dangerous to cut round objects free hand on a wood working band saw.

As you've discovered, all it takes is a quick catch and wham, things go flying.

I use a horizontal metal cutting band saw for pipe, it has a vise to clamp the pipe securely.

Fortunately no one was hurt, that's a good thing...........Rod.

Terry Hatfield
04-06-2010, 11:18 AM
It's dangerous to cut round objects free hand on a wood working band saw.

As you've discovered, all it takes is a quick catch and wham, things go flying.

I use a horizontal metal cutting band saw for pipe, it has a vise to clamp the pipe securely.

Fortunately no one was hurt, that's a good thing...........Rod.

Just cost me a pair of underwear. Smarter now. :D

Chris Padilla
04-06-2010, 7:22 PM
I use a sawzall and a really long blade for the 6" dia. pvc. I even cobbled together a cheezy little "miter box" so I could get reasonably square cuts and clamp the pipe down....

David G Baker
04-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Terry,
We all have days like you described. I keep worrying about them showing up more often as I age.
I have cut PVC pipe on my miter saw. It works fine most of the time except when it explodes into a hundred pieces with a loud bang and PVC shoots out in every direction. Taught me a valuable lesson, use a hand saw when cutting PVC pipe or a horizontal metal cutting saw as Rod suggested. If I need a precision cut on any pipe smaller than 4 inch I can chuck it up in my metal lathe.

Joe Chritz
04-07-2010, 8:00 AM
Are you sure they were "accidents" in ordering the wrong one?

Joe

Mike Cruz
04-07-2010, 7:01 PM
My friend, you are not alone in ruining a BS blade on PVC...

Myk Rian
04-07-2010, 8:36 PM
I tried cutting 4" PVC pipe with a 3tpi 1/2" BS blade. It caught, splintered the pipe, and bent the blade to uselessness when it came off the wheels. Use a hand saw, or a FINE tooth blade.

Terry Hatfield
04-07-2010, 9:26 PM
Mission accomplished. The big brown truck actually brought the right blade today!!! Only took 3 times and $30 wasted on shipping. Now if I just had time to put it on the saw and use it.

t