PDA

View Full Version : ancient Kauri blanks

neil mackay
04-06-2010, 1:42 AM
here we go, have at look at this

http://www.thewoodturnersstudio.co.nz/pages/KauriBlanks.htm

Jeff Nicol
04-06-2010, 4:12 AM
Very nice stuff, but the cost is out of this world! Maybe someday I can take a hunting trip to New Zealand and get some cheaper! Big dreamer that I am! If I would have been paying attention, a good friend of mine's girlfriend was over there for 2 weeks for a college course she is taking. She brought back hundreds of pictures of the country and the mountains and the big trees that are still standing. There was one picture where 10-12 of the students were standing in front of one of a tree and it was wider than they were!

It is good to have dreams,

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
04-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Cool site. Thanks for sharing.

Ken Garlock
04-06-2010, 1:23 PM
Good afternoon, gentlemen.:)

You don't need to travel to 'down under' land to get Kauri.:cool: It is available here in the US of A at Ancient Wood (https://www.ancientwood.com/) in Wisconsin. Prices run from 30 to 60 dollars per board-foot. I didn't see any turning blanks, but you might give them a call since they do sell "cut-offs."

Richard Madison
04-06-2010, 6:15 PM
Check out Ancient Kauri Kingdom. Their kauri is said to be 35,000 (that's thirty-five thousand) years old.

David E Keller
04-06-2010, 8:11 PM
Interesting site. I've never been all that impressed with ancient wood like this... It's not any prettier than crotch maple in my eyes. I've never turned any of it, so maybe it's one of those things where you have to see it in person.

Twenty dollar pen blanks are a little out of my league.

Troy Donson
04-06-2010, 9:49 PM
David, I don't know which site you are referring to that is selling $20 pen blanks but Ancient Wood in Wisconsin does sell 2 board feet worth of wood that they say is "Enough for 24 to 48 pens, depending on pen design" for $49 + shipping.

The site has a section for turners and carvers. Look for "Ancient Kauri for sale" then "Blanks and Bundles". Hope that helps.

I am doing some auto side side jobs to get some cash reserves to be able to order a couple of their platter blanks for the LOML b-day... Will post before and afters as soon as I get them done...

I saw a small weed pot made from Kauri and it really is gorgeous wood...

Troy

neil mackay
04-07-2010, 6:28 PM
\
There was one picture where 10-12 of the students were standing in front of one of a tree and it was wider than they were!

\

Jeff

That would be Tane Mahtua at the Waipoua Forest

http://www.taitokerau.co.nz/cape_reinga_waitangi_stone_store.htm

Its about 80' to the first branch and from memory 30' through at the base

Leo Van Der Loo
04-07-2010, 8:42 PM
I've got a couple of smaller pieces here, this stuff is carbon dated to be between 30.000 and 50.000 years old, it is light weight wood an pretty soft, (I can make marks in it with my nail) to me it appears like a fine grained redwood and does show some chatoyance.

Except for it's age, I don't think it is very special wood, I would rather turn some nice hardwood, or else even Juniper (eastern red cedar) as the price would very probably be right

David E Keller
04-07-2010, 8:52 PM
David, I don't know which site you are referring to that is selling $20 pen blanks but Ancient Wood in Wisconsin does sell 2 board feet worth of wood that they say is "Enough for 24 to 48 pens, depending on pen design" for $49 + shipping.

The site has a section for turners and carvers. Look for "Ancient Kauri for sale" then "Blanks and Bundles". Hope that helps.

I am doing some auto side side jobs to get some cash reserves to be able to order a couple of their platter blanks for the LOML b-day... Will post before and afters as soon as I get them done...

I saw a small weed pot made from Kauri and it really is gorgeous wood...

Troy

I guess I was looking at the green kauri on the original website... four blanks for $120NZ(which is about $84 US). The golden kauri is cheaper, and the US prices @ Ancient were better.

Still not sure I'm crazy about the stuff, but I'm most scared that I would love it:eek:... I've got enough vices that I can't afford. Don't want to develop a kauri habit.:D

Troy Donson
04-07-2010, 10:54 PM
David, the weed pot I saw was full of what they called "Wild Grain" and it was just so pretty and of course my wife OOOoooed and AHHHHhhhhed over it and said that "when we hit the lottery, you WILL be making something out of that kind of wood for me..." so I hope to surprise her appropriately... Really, after talking to a couple of Kiwis I know, the 2 platter blanks are a good deal at $149 per pair (5 bd ft total)

Leo, where did you receive your wood from? I was told that the folks at Ancient Wood have figured out a way to kiln dry it and it was very hard and dense...although I could be mistaken...which is common enough I suppose :p

Aaron Wingert
04-08-2010, 12:31 AM
In some cases you're buying the product more for the story behind it than the actual look of the product. I think that's the case with ancient kauri. As stated, there are a multitude of nicer looking woods for a fraction of the price. But there's something to be said for having a pen (or whatever) made from 50,000 year old wood from a buried forest in New Zealand. That's kind of cool if you ask me.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-08-2010, 3:38 AM
Troy, one of my sisters picked it up in New Zealand while visiting relatives, I got cousins in Australia and New Zealand, they both have dairy farms there, the cousin in NZ was pulling a bunch of wood out of a swampy area on his farm, it was going to be used for firewood IIRC.

The Kauri tree is a softwood tree, here's a program that will give you the wood properties of different tree wood, so you can compare, and you will find it isn't hard wood

http://www.matbase.com/material/wood/class3-10-15-years/kauri/properties

Bill Blasic
04-08-2010, 5:31 AM
I have a piece sent from a friend who works at the Ancient Kauri Kingdom. Carbon dated between 45 and 50 thousand years old. It was sent to be turned but he wrote all the info as to where it was taken out of the ground etc. on it and you can put the co-ordinates into Google Maps and see right where it came out of the ground. Now that is so neat and it is much more important to me to leave it just like it is and have a great conversation piece, after all how often do you get to hold in your hands something that old? He also sent a picture of the other half of this block that he had turned and it was very beautiful with lots of figure. As stated above sometimes its just about what it is that makes it special.:)
Bill

neil mackay
04-08-2010, 5:39 AM
T
he Kauri tree is a softwood tree, here's a program that will give you the wood properties of different tree wood, so you can compare, and you will find it isn't hard wood

What you will find with time and above ground application it will harden up to the point it will make Jarrah seem a better option to turn.
I have in the past been involved with a 100year old timber house maint. and you have to drill each nail hole and do so carefully as it close in on the drill bit so tightly you cant get it out or knock it in.
In the first 50-90 years or so it was used as the only timber to build a house in New Zealand as it was so durable and impervious to infestation etc.
During the age of sail it was the premier timber for boat building and to day there still some boats being built out of Kauri but they are very few and far between.

Troy Donson
04-08-2010, 7:22 AM
Thanks for the info, Leo. That link you provided is pretty handy, too!! Thanks.

John Keeton
04-08-2010, 8:03 AM
...it is much more important to me to leave it just like it is and have a great conversation piece, after all how often do you get to hold in your hands something that old? He also sent a picture of the other half of this block that he had turned and it was very beautiful with lots of figure. As stated above sometimes its just about what it is that makes it special.:)
BillThis I understand!

Admittedly, what I know about this wood has been learned from this thread, but I fail to see what would make it so special for a turning - other than as Bill has stated.

We all gain satisfaction from our own work, but when someone else looks at a piece, their immediate impression will be developed by the form, the color/figure/the possible utility, etc. - all of which can be perceived without a word being spoken. That person may express an interest in the particular woods, and history, but that should be secondary. IMO, I should not have to speak to create an interest in a turning.

Maybe I am in the gross minority here, and Lord knows, I am a neophyte on this turning thing, but I don't think I would ever consider purchasing this wood for a turning.

That said, if it is something that is your passion, then I think it is great.

Troy Donson
04-08-2010, 8:38 AM
John, the reason I, personally, am looking at turning Kauri is that first and foremost my wife wants something like what she saw at a craft show here in the Phoenix area.

After picking myself up off the ground from the sticker shock for the pieces that were being shown, I just kinda figured I would look into maybe getting some small pieces and making her, er, uh, something.

I changed my mind after looking at the Ancient Kauri site and saw some of the pictures of the finished products. I have exchanged a few e-mails with the staff over the last few months and I am chomping at the bit to order 2 platter blanks. One for my wife and one for a friend that has offered to buy the one my wife "does not want"... THAT should be fun to watch...

For my wife, it is knowing that she has a piece of wood that is so old, something unique, something I made for her, she loves the "look" and the list goes on... Her actual comment was "Oooooo!!! Momma Like!!!"

I have some pictures that show the color and grain pattern of the wood. And even though it may not be everyone's cup of tea, my wife has her heart set on "someday" having a piece of it and that is all the reason I need to try it. And Lord knows I have dropped a lot more that $150 on some of my other endeavors that I have nothing show for...

That's my excuse and I am sticking to it!! :D

John Keeton
04-08-2010, 9:14 AM
Troy, you have reason enough to pursue this!!!:D:D When the lady is happy, then everyone is happy!

The pics are striking, and while I think it would make unbelievable veneer for flatwork, I would become nauseated seeing a pile of chips from that lying on my floor!:eek:

Nonetheless, the platters you have planned will be beautiful, I am sure.

David E Keller
04-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I get it now... One "momma like" is all it takes.:D

The photos are gorgeous, but they're nothing compared to the smile on her face I'm sure.

If you're sneaky like me, you'll parlay this kauri platter into a new tool needed especially for the project.:cool:

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, and I'd love to see some 'before' pics as well.

Richard Madison
04-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Troy, Good thinking. Feels great when your sweetie says "This turning is NOT for sale".

neil mackay
04-10-2010, 7:11 AM
availability in the USA or Kauri

http://www.arroyohardwoods.com/Departments/Kauri/Hints/Kauri.htm